Monday, August 28, 2017

Chapter 52 - Running Away - Part 3 of 3

Well shit, thought Reid as he looked out the car window at the water rushing across the bridge, Ben's going to get his wish after all. The bridge was flooded and he couldn't get across to Katie's apartment. Ben was going to spend the night with him and Newt whether anyone wanted him to or not. Fucking awkward. He called Katie from the car and she wasn't happy. He didn't tell her that Newt was still in town and staying with him. No sense opening up that can of worms. There was nothing he could do about it anyway.

He turned the car around and headed to his house. On the way he explained to Ben that he had company. His Dad was staying with him. Ben got real quiet. Reid figured he was trying to understand why nobody told him his father was here. But maybe he was afraid of him, hell he didn't know.



Finally Reid broke the silence and gave Ben the choice and asked if he would rather not see him. Ben just asked if his father was mad at him. Reid said ‘No, he would really like to see you.’

Ben looked relieved and said ‘Yes, I want to see him too.’ He was quiet the remainder of the short drive to his house, unusual for Ben.


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


The father and son reunion was so emotionally charged that Reid could barely watch. When Ben saw his father, they just looked at each other. Newt started to tear up. He squatted down and choked out, “Ben,” then opened his arms to his son.

“Daddy?” came the reply and Ben ran into Newt’s outstretched arms. They hugged for a few minutes both crying. “God, I have missed you so much Ben. You are so grown up. You've grown at least two feet!” said Newt once he recovered.

Ben pulled back and looked at him suspiciously. He stood up straight and squared his shoulders as if getting ready for a fight. “Why did you make Mom leave? Reese said you hit her. You didn't, did you?”


Reid groaned. He needed to stop this conversation. “Ben, let’s find you something to sleep in and I'll put your wet clothes in the dryer. You get changed and we will make you a bed on the couch,” he said before Newt could respond.

Newt gave him a thank you look over Ben's head. Then Newt looked at Ben as his son hung his head and turned to do as Reid said. “Ben, son,” he said, “We can talk in the morning okay. It's late and we all need to get some sleep.”

Ben looked back and forth between the two men. “I’m not a baby! I can stay up late!” and turned to walk off.

Newt frowned trying to understand where that came from. He stopped Ben and looked at Reid. "No you aren't,” he said. “You are definitely not a baby, you are a young man. An incredibly brave young man to ride your bike at night like that and in the rain. So how about this, you go and get ready for bed and then we can talk for awhile before you go to sleep, okay?”

Ben brightened up. “Okay, Dad,” he said.

While Ben was in the bathroom Reid asked Newt, “Do you want me to stay? What the hell are you going to say to him?”

“The truth. That what happened between me and his mom is between us. I am sure he heard the arguing but never saw…”

“Fuck Newt. I want to beat the shit out of you every time I think about it,” said Reid.

“I wouldn’t blame you if you did. You and Kaitlin. It has to be difficult,” replied Newt.

“I knew she had an asshole husband, just didn’t know it was my fucking brother. Sorry man. It’s hard okay,” said Reid, “I’m working on it.”

“Thank you for sticking by me Reid. You didn’t have to. We’ve already discussed this. I promise, I am under control now. It won’t happen again. Janet...God I miss her. I wish she were here.”

“That sucks you know. You were the asshole of all assholes and you got the girl - twice! I lost the girl twice and I would never do what you did. Hell, it doesn’t matter. Listen, I'm here if Ben gets upset. He's a good kid Newt. Don’t screw this up.”

Ben walked out of the bathroom in one of Reid’s t-shirts. “Don’t screw what up Dad?” he asked.

Newt looked down at Ben without missing a beat. “This chance to get to know my son again,” he said, “Uncle Reid cares a lot about you and he’s worried that I will upset you because we haven’t seen each other in a long time. You are kind of like a son to him. Did you know that?”

Go to Chapter 53 Part 1

Go Back to Chapter 52 - Part 2

12 comments:

  1. This is annoying, why can't everyone just talk THE TRUTH! Ben needs to know what happened. He's growing up and is starting to exhibit emotions and actions that will lead him to a life of crime or being an abuser, himself. Kaitlyn is being dumb, but is also distracted by way too many things right now to even notice her son. Dr. Shea is kind of dumb, too, for not pointing out that Ben needs help, maybe even more than Kaitlyn. Mom and son need therapy together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree with you more! I don't think Newt was ready to lay it out there. But eventually he will have to. I just hope it's not too late for Ben. And I think Ben probably knows he isn't being told the truth which makes it worse.

      Delete
  2. As much as this turn of events is frustrating me, at least someone is finally giving Ben attention. The rest of his family just treats him like the quiet kid they can ignore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, at least someone is hearing him and telling him the truth for the most part anyway.

      There is just so much going on And he doesn't feel a part of any of it. :(

      Delete
  3. I hope they have a good conversation, and that ben finally understand's some things, I also hope he dosen't go like ''Now, I know that Dad hit mom, and Reid was in jail because of a real reason, so I hate everyone!''

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That would be awful. Newt didn't tell him about the hitting. I think these two unlikely brothers are starting to get their sh*t together - finally.

      Delete
  4. As much as I hate Ben, I still think that last shot of him smiling at his dad is utterly adorable. I mean, it just shows how much he looks up to the guy! And how upset he'll be when he finds out Newt did hit Katilin. As an afterthought, I just realized how much they look alike. Aww!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they look so much alike! I think your feelings about Ben are in the minority! Most are mad at Kaitlin for ignoring his behavior. But I understand why you feel that way. He's being so disrespectful. It's like he's playing the victim. He is only 11 and pushing the boundaries big time.

      Delete
  5. It's weird, but I actually smiled and was touched when I saw Ben in Newt's arms and him crying. I know he is not a good man still, but God, he is trying, I have to give him that. And Ben is there with his two dads...So confusing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Ben is confused. Poor guy. Just at that awful in between age. And Newt does love him. And obviously Reid has come to care about him too. He has of these people that love him but....

      Delete