Monday, August 21, 2017

Chapter 51- The Truth Shall Set You Free - Or Not...Part 1 of 3

Day 51 - Rolled 12 ½ price groceries. 

Kaitlin kept running over and over in her head all that Leroy had told her last evening. She was shocked when he told her about Newt’s father’s business. She had no idea. She wanted now, more than ever, to remove herself from any association with them.

Kaitlin wondered if that was why Newt hated it so much, or maybe he didn't even know, or maybe that was why he was so cruel. But then he was in therapy and had a new girlfriend. She thought he would have been happy to be free of her and the kids. And he hadn't contacted her even though he obviously knew where she was. Why not? 

Maybe he didn't want his new girlfriend to know he knew where his family was. It might mess up things up with her. That way he could pretend like we don't exist anymore. Ugh, she thought, I have to stop thinking about this. It's not helping.

Angie’s too sweet voice interrupted her thoughts. “Kaitlin," she said dreamily, "you have a sexy sounding guy on the phone wanting an appointment. He asked for you specifically.”

Kaitlin rolled her eyes and and took the phone from her. Angie always dramatized everything. “This is Kaitlin, how may I help you?” she said.

"Kaitlin..." said the deep voice on the other end of the line.


Chills went through her body as soon as she heard her name. She would recognize his voice anywhere. Even though she had been expecting this call, her own voice refused to work and she began to have a hard time catching her breath.

"Kaitlin? Are you there? Please don't hang up. I just want to talk.”

She tried to find her voice but she couldn't breathe and her hands were shaking.

“Kaitlin? Are you still there? I can hear people so I know you are still on the line.” he said when she still said nothing.

Breathe slowly, she thought then inhaled deeply one more time before finally being able to respond, “I don't have anything to say to you, so please, leave us alone.”

“I'm not trying to bother you. Please just give me a minute. You don't have to talk. Just listen, okay?” he pleaded.

She kept opening and closing her mouth to speak and didn't know what to say. She felt like a fish out of water. Finally she acquiesced, “What do you want?”

She heard him let out a breath over the phone. “Kaitlin, I know I fucked everything up. And I also know you have made a new life for yourself. But we need to talk. In person. I can't just walk away now that I've finally found you. Would you meet me at the diner? A public place.”

Kaitlin’s heart was beating so hard she knew Angie could hear it. “Miranda and Reid fill you in and tell you where to find me?” she asked. Stupid question.

“Does it matter?”

“No. I guess not,” she said feeling foolish.

"Meet me, please. We need to figure out how to move on from this - mess - alone.”

“No. I don't trust you or your family. I would never go anywhere with you alone.”

Fine. Then bring your boyfriend. Just know you have nothing to fear. But Kaitlin, if he comes with you, do I?

He had a point. Having these two men in the same room together might not be a good idea. She couldn't be sure what Leroy might do to him. Alone was better than a potential fist fight. However, she would need to tell Leroy where she was going. Fun. “Fine, alone then. When?”

He chuckled, “He hates me that bad huh? It's okay. I get it. Tonight? After you get off work?”

Tonight? Crap. Might as well get it over with. “Okay. I'll see you at 6:00,” she said and disconnected the call.

Kaitlin knew this day was coming since the day she packed the kids and ran. Time to face the music. But the worst part was going to be telling Leroy what she was doing and keeping him at bay. Texting, she decided, would be easier.


Kaitlin jumped when the phone rang in her hand. Of course he would call.

“Hi Leroy,” she said and steeled herself for his rant.

“He calls and you just go? What the Hell? Sorry Kate. You are NOT going unless I go with you!” he practically yelled it through the phone.

“No!” she shot back, “You’re NOT. He actually offered for you to come. I said no. This is between me and Newt. We are meeting at the diner. It's a public place so you don't need to worry. Anyway, I don't want you taking a swing at him if he looks at you funny. Listen to you right now!"

“Me? What about you? What if you have a panic attack? I need to be there to help.” He sounded so desperate. She almost agreed.

“I can control them myself. I know what I'm walking into. You can't always be there when it happens anyway. Listen Leroy, when Newt called earlier, I knew exactly who it was when he said my name and yeah, I almost panicked. But I controlled it. I can do this. I need to do this - for me. For us. It's a day I have been dreading since I decided to leave and I need to get it behind me.”

There was silence on the other end before he finally spoke again. “When you get there I want you to put him on the phone with me. Will you do that for me?” he said sounding much more composed.

Kaitlin smiled. Compromise. He wasn't steamrolling over her, he was compromising and giving her a choice. She could say no, but she wouldn't. She would meet him halfway. It felt good.


“Kate? Did you hear me? Will you do that?” begged Leroy.

She would say okay, but she wasn't going to make it easy. “Really? You really want to talk to him? Can't I just text you and let you know I'm there?” she asked. She knew why he wanted to talk to him.

“Please, I will feel better if I can talk to him before he has a chance to upset you.”

“Okay, fine. But you have to promise to be civil. I mean it Leroy, I'm trusting you.”

Leroy's sigh was audible through the phone line, “I promise sweetheart. Call me if you need anything. And Kate, I love you. Please be careful.”

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

Kaitlin barely made it through her last appointment she was so nervous. She changed out of her smock and was getting ready to leave when Angie came over.  “You okay sweetie?” she said her words dripping with syrup, “Sounds like the sexy man upset you. Old boyfriend back in town?”

Sounds like someone was eavesdropping, thought Kaitlin. Well, she didn't have time for Angie’s prying and figured the truth might as well start with her and so she plastered on a fake smile and said, “No. My husband is meeting me for dinner.”

Angie gasped and clutched her chest and said, “You didn't tell me you and Leroy got married? Sorry, but that just didn't sound like Leroy! Congratulations!”

“We didn't and it wasn't. So thanks for nothing. Now, I have to go or I will be late for my dinner date with my husband,” replied Kaitlin and turned to leave.

Kaitlin walked off doing everything she could not to burst out laughing. The look on Angie's face was worth it and it definitely helped calm her nerves. Thanks Angie, she thought.

13 comments:

  1. Kaitlin means business!! So proud of her!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes she does! ❤️ You go girl! Show'em what you are made of!

      Delete
  2. Oh boy! Kaitlin is really becoming the best version of herself. I hope she does okay at the diner with Newt. I can't wait until tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I know what happens and I am excited....😂

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Yes... She is taking a big risk and no doubt it will be hard. I just hope,he keeps his cool. But they are meeting in a very public place so...

      Delete
  4. IT'S GONNA HAPPEN
    -HEAVY BREATHING-

    The
    TALK

    I'm looking forward to seeing them (hopefully) make amends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will see how far they get, in about 10 hours! Haha!

      Delete
  5. YEEEES! Finally, you go there, Kate, scream to him, do whatever you want with him! It will be nice to see how is her talk with newt going to be without her being afraid all the time...I'm so excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, Glad you are excited! I was too. She is getting so much better!

      Delete
  6. Goodness, I've been waiting so long for this to happen. And I loved how she casually told Angie the truth!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was so fu. To finally have her do that. Angie is such a gossip. So we will see how it goes.

      Delete