Saturday, August 19, 2017

Chapter 50 - Finding Out - Part 3 of 3

Leroy went to see Reid in prison. Reid walked out and sat down across the table from his ex-best friend. He looked awful, evidence of a fight remaining in the cuts and bruises on his cheek and mouth.

Reid glared at him. “What the Hell are you doing here? Come to gloat?” he said angrily.

“How are you?” asked Leroy not really sure what you say to someone in prison. No one ever came to see him while he was in Juvie.

 “That's a stupid-ass question. Again, why are you here?” demanded Reid.

Leroy leaned closer lowering his voice. “I found out some info that can possibly free you. It involves both your father and step-father. Mostly your step-father. Miranda seems to be uninvolved.”

“You mean the untouchable Chief did this?" he asked incredulous, "He doesn't give a shit about me. Why would he go to the trouble?”

“That's where you're wrong. What do you know about your father's business?" asked Leroy trying to determine if Reid really did know what was going on.

“You mean old man Murdock - Murdock Corporation?” he asked as he thought about what Leroy said.

Leroy nodded.

“Not much other than I think Mom is pushing for dear old Dad to recognize me as an equal heir along with Newt. She was trying to push me and Katie together since she thought it would delegitimize Newt. But she doesn't know the real reason Katie left. Anyone with half a brain could probably figure it out though.”

Leroy raised his eyebrows in surprise. Does he know? thought Leroy then at the same time realized of course he does. But what he said next surprised him.

“Yeah, he told me,” confirmed Reid, “Asshole. At least he got help. He's even managing my bar for me while I'm in here. Going back and forth.”

Shit...“You mean he hasn't ignored the fact that Kate and his kids are here and slunk back to Roaring Heights to hide?” asked Leroy hopefully.

“I don't know what his plans are. I'm locked up shithead. Remember? Now what did you come to tell me?”

Leroy let out a long breath thinking about how to phrase his answer. “Seems it's not Miranda’s doings at all. Murdock has some, let's say, untoward business practices. It's common knowledge in certain circles. Conner knew of him and used his services. That's how he figured out that Miranda was Murdock’s sister-in-law. He met Cassandra and put two and two together. Once he discovered Murdock was also your father, Conner wanted to partner up in exchange for keeping Murdock's dirty little secret. Uh, sorry. He didn't know Cassandra already knew you were his son. Murdock let him in. Keep your enemies closer and all that.”

“How do you know this?”asked Reid sounding skeptical.

“You must have some friends. There is a guy that is willing to testify that he was the one that set the fire and set it up to look like I did it at the request of your stepfather. It was meant to get me out of the way so Kate would run back to you. He will testify if he gets immunity and goes into witness protection.”

“He's that afraid of my step-father?” asked Reid


“No, of your real father.”

“Why?”

“You might want to ask dear old Dad more about his business sometime, and maybe put as much distance as you can between you and him or this might become your permanent residence.”

“Man, I was ready to blame this shit on Miranda.”

“Well, that's how we found this guy. We were investigating her and it led to Chief Conner. A lot of folks would like to put him away.”

“Why? I mean, I know why people want to put him away, but why are you doing this for me?”

“Because, for some reason, I believed your slimy ass. And to save my neck too. Conner doesn't want you in here. He still needs me gone and Kate with you. Reid - that's never going to happen, you know that right. You and Kate that is.”

“No shit Sherlock," quipped Reid then looked up at Leroy, "Hey, I saw Shea at the trial. She looked good. She doing okay?”

“Yes. She moved her practice back to Twinbrook.”

“Times up Nielson!” barked the guard as he walked over.


Reid stood up. “Thanks man. I know I don't deserve your help. Tell Shea I said thanks for coming to support me, I didn't have a chance to tell her,” said Reid and let the guard led him away.

Go To Chapter 51 Part 1

Go Back to Chapter 50 Part 2 

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Almost makes you feel sorry for Reid.....almost but not quite. Lol.

      Delete
  2. I hope that Leroy knows how great he is!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started laughing pretty hard after I read Leroy saying, "because I believed your slimy ass"
    Because I scrolled down and saw Reid like :O
    It's the perfect reaction xD

    Nice to see Reid being cooperative to take down the real slimeball with Leroy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. No love lost between Reid and his stepfather. Good thing.

      Delete
  4. OMG so crazy. I thought Miranda was the one pushing her husband to do more for Reid. And I thought Reid was the one who was going to be a witness for the FBI. I've got it sorted out now.

    If I were Leroy, I would not have gone to see Reid before speaking with Kaitlin first. But pretty much all the men in this story operate without her like she's a pawn, not a real consideration. I know that's not Leroy's intent, compared to the other guys who couldn't care less, but it's still his behavior.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! I didn't realize you were confused. I was afraid I might confuse everyone with all the funky relationships! Reid didn't know. He thought Leroy did it then when it turned around, he thought it was his mother. She dotes on him, but he hates it. She does it for her own self-promotion. Probably the same reason she married the Chief of Police. Status. Always wanting what someone else had, including her sister's husband - he was mega rich so why not. But she's a bimbo. Not so resourceful! lol

      Delete
  5. That's nice! Glad things ended up good, but, we are finding out one master -mind bahind the other...Is he really the ''true'' mastermind, or...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol.. I don't know if I could figure that out! It yes, things are looking up for Reid anyway.

      Delete
  6. Fingers crossed it will end well!

    ReplyDelete