Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Chapter 9 - Darius

Day 9 - Rolled a blank so I changed to a 50/50 chance - Rolled another blank.😏

The weeks were going by quickly and Kaitlin was doing really well harvesting honey. She was getting some high grade honey as long as she cleaned the box every day. Miss a day...not so much.

Kaitlin almost quit. She was working on harvesting the honey and the bees swarmed. She ran as fast as she could to get inside the building, escaping with only a couple of nasty stings. It could have been so much worse. She never considered this dangerous before. If she had anything else she could do, she would surely do it! It took awhile for the pain to subside enough and the bees to settle back down so she could finish up her day.

When she got home, she counted her money one more time. Almost enough. I need to start looking for another job now, she thought to herself. If I had gotten badly stung, I would have had to go to the hospital and that would have set us back a month! 

* * * 

There was this one firefighter, Darius, that much to Kaitlin's chagrin, liked to walk around in his boxers. Not a very good example for her boys. But, he had taken to the whole family. He always tried to talk to Kaitlin - checking on her he said. One day he found her in the dumpster. She was mortified. 


Darius saw Kaitlin in the dumpster and ran over to help her. "Kaitlin, are you okay? Here let me help you," he said as he reached in to pull her out,"what on earth are you doing in there?"

"I am fine Darius. You didn't need t help me. I saw some things that I thought would be good to refurbish for when we get to move back to the apartment," she said, telling a white lie. When they DID get an apartment, she could use those things or sell them. 

* * * 

Darius could often be seen playing with Madison. She had taken to him as well. One thing is for sure, at least she isn't afraid of men. Some kids growing up in an abusive home would be but Kaitlin got her out before she had to witness it. Now she is surrounded by them and loves them. She loves everybody.

* * *





Even Reese had taken to Darius. They could be found working out together and discussing firefighting. Darius naturally had a lot of exciting stories to tell. 

* * *



The relationship that Darius formed with Ben was more curious. Ben was starting to imitate him, walking around in his pajamas all day. But they actually became friends. They could be found playing chess or just hanging out.

"Hey Ben, my man! Whatcha readin'?" asked Darius. 

"It's about a magic lamp. Do you think Genies are real? Maybe if I could find one, I could wish for my Daddy to be nice and we could move back home. I miss my room and my toys," and in a quieter sad voice added, "and my granny and grandpa."

"Well, Kid, I don't think they are real. But if your old man isn't nice then you probably shouldn't go back. But, I bet he loves you anyway."

"Nah," said Ben matter of factly, "he would have come for us and he wouldn't have hit Mommy. So I am kinda glad he didn't. But now she is never around. And Reese just pays attention to Maddy and Jaaade. Maddy this and Maddy that...Jade this and Jade that."

This was the first Darius knew of abuse. Kaitlin never mentioned her kids father. He figured they were divorced. Then he realized if she was running from abuse then she must be homeless and that was really why she was living at the station with her three kids. The dumpster episode suddenly made sense. 

"Hey, you know what," said Darius, "I am glad he didn't come get you. If you left, I wouldn't have anyone to play chess with. All these other guys think they are too cool for chess - you are the best partner around." Then he gave Ben a fist bump. 






11 comments:

  1. Interesting that the first thing Ben opens up about is his father.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He knows they left because of his father and is struggling with the idea that his father might not love him so he feels abandoned even though they left. Darius is the first male that has been nice to him and makes him feel safe.

      Delete
  2. Ooh I really like Darius. I think it's important for someone to know the truth about their situation... I'm really feeling for poor Ben being caught in the middle of everything right now. I worry for him a bit though. I see a lot of potential for things to go poorly in his future... But hopefully they won't!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ben is struggling with his situation more than anyone. Maddy is so young and Reese understands it although it's still hard for him he handles is much better. So I was glad Darius was there for him.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I like Darius and I think he will add an interesting (and good) dynamic to the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was the ONLY firefighter that ever showed up. I was hoping there would be lots of hunky firemen for them to get to know. He was the only one so they latched on to him!

      Delete
    2. It's disappointing sometimes when the game acts like that. Sometimes you have more Sims than you know what to do with, but at other times, the place is totally dead.

      Delete
  4. Darius is freaking awesome! I love how he interacts with the kids! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes he was! He really helped with the kids!

      Delete
  5. I am so glad there is Darius. And relieved that Maddy grows a happy child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maddy is young enough she is oblivious. It’s Ben that needs the attention that was Reese is trying to give him...but now he has a young love...hmmm....and toddler is way more demanding than an 8 year old.

      Delete