Sunday, January 15, 2017

Chapter 3 - Hard

Day 3 - (rolled a blank - again!) Maybe 30% was too easy...we will see.

The weeks had became a month. Reese wanted to know how much longer they might have to stay in the junkyard. He put his toast down and looked at his mother and asked, "How long do you think we may have to live here? I mean, we have already been here over a month. I am just wondering when we might be able to move to an apartment. I - uh - I can get a job."


Kaitlin looked away. She didn't want him to see the agony in her eyes at his question. "NO! You wont get a job. I need you here to help with Maddy and Ben and you have to keep up with your schoolwork. You are helping me collect the scrap metal. That is more than enough for you to have to do..." then she added quietly, "Sweetie, I have a little saved up. Probably another 6 or 8 weeks. Then I should have enough to put down a deposit on an apartment. But I will have to find another job first."

"Okay, Mom. I just - I mean Ben...he's so quiet...he hardly talks."

"I know. He is hurting Reese. We all are. Just be patient with him. How are you?"

"I want to kill him Mom. I'm sorry. But..."

"Reese, I don't want to make excuses for your father, but he was forced into a life he didn't want and came to resent me for it."

"Because of me?"

"NO! His parents...your grandparents...Oh,it's a long story Reese. Maybe when were settled, I will tell you all about it. You deserve to know."

"Mom, I can add."

Kaitlin just laughed softly. "Yes Reese, I was pregnant with you when we got married. That is enough for now."


* * *

Friday's were laundry day so they had a lighter than normal supper eating soup. Ben in his own world as usual eating quietly. At least it wasn't hot dogs.


The laundry wasn't far but since Kaitlin would be gone longer than just to the grocer's and back,she made the kids go with her. She just wasn't comfortable leaving them alone at night in the junkyard. As always, Reese took it upon himself to help with Maddy.


After they arrived she put their clothes in the washer then took Maddy from Reese to give him a break. Besides she wanted some sweet little girl loving to help pass the time while she waited for the clothes to finish washing.

She looked around for Reese when the buzzer sounded and she saw him napping on the bench. Good for him, thought Kaitlin, he has been getting up everyday and helping me. I didn't realize how hard this was on him until yesterday morning. We definitely need to get out of the junkyard and soon.


Not wanting to disturb Reese, she put Maddy down and told Ben to keep an eye on her and tackled the clothes.

Finally after two hours they made it home with clean clothes.

Everyone was exhausted and went straight to bed as soon as they got home. Except for Maddy, she played quietly then started fussing because she was hungry so Kaitlin got up fed her and went back to sleep. Finally Maddy drifted off. Good thing about her daughter, once she is asleep, she is asleep and nothing wakes her up.

As Kaitlin drifted off to sleep she thought, I desperately need to make this not be 6 more weeks - it's starting to get to the boys. They need real beds. Maybe if I work harder and find more scrap....zzzz

Go to Chapter 4

Go back to Chapter 2

9 comments:

  1. You can already see how hard this is on the kids. I like how each Sim day represents multiple days.

    Oh, and that stroller made me nostalgic. I miss certain parts of TS3; I pretty much only play TS4 now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are suffering for sure. But the alternative was worse.

      Delete
  2. I do hope things get better for them soon. This really isn't much of a life or any of them. But, the alternative is worse and I'm glad that they are out of that abusive situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. They have a hard life right now. It will improve over time. They will definitely have different challenges to deal with.

      Delete
    2. And that's all part of life. I just hope life is going to be kinder to them soon.

      Delete
  3. Aww one day she is going to have to tell him everything. I hope he understands and doesn't feel like it's all his fault.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, so depressing...And Ben buried deep down into his own world. This one time she saw his parents' fight really got to him. He's so vulnerable, he's always been...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ben is buried deep within himself. His dad wasn’t around much and when he was it wasn’t always pleasant.

      Delete