Monday, January 16, 2017

Chapter 4 - Firehouse!!!

Day 4 - (rolled 20 - advance to the next home if you have the cash)  Finally got an event and it was a good one!  But that is okay. Junkyard life IS hard...

While Kaitlin was buying her week's worth of groceries, she overheard a fireman telling the clerk that the fire department was looking for a cook. Kaitlin’s ears perked up. That might get us out of the junkyard!, she thought. She only had a little more than $2,000 saved up for a deposit. It wasn't enough for an apartment. But, if they could get out of the junkyard....!

She watched the man as she paid for her groceries. She didn't want him to leave. "Uh Hmm...Excuse me sir,' she said nervously to get his attention.

When he turned around she jumped back and gasped - out loud - actually gasped. She thought people only did that in the movies.

"I'm sorry," he said, "I didn't mean to frighten you. Are you okay?"

"I - I thought you were someone else. I am so sorry." Kaitlin was sure she nearly had a heart attack as fast as her heart was racing. The man could have been her husband’s twin brother. Kaitlin knew it wasn't him. He had deep chocolate brown eyes, not at all like Newt's beautiful blue eyes that now frightened her. And when he spoke, totally not his voice and he was slightly shorter.

"Okay, I am not sure if that is good or bad," he said and laughed.

She waited a second for her heart rate to get back to normal, before answering. "No, not bad. I just wasn't expecting him to be here. That's all. I'm sorry. My name is Kaitlin Murdock and anyway, I understand you are looking for help at the fire station - the cook position I mean."

"Reid Nielson. Nice to meet you Kaitlin. And yes. We need someone that can help us out. The guys aren't great cooks and we also need help with a little cleaning. They stay pretty busy keeping the equipment maintained."

Kaitlin couldn't look at him she was so embarrassed. "Um - my uh - apartment is being refurbished and me and my children, we don't have a place to live right now. We have been helping out at Grady's, but..."

"Ahhh - say no more," said Reid as he put on his glasses to leave, "The job is yours."



Kaitlin impulsively threw herself at him in a huge bear hug she was so happy.




Reid caught her and laughed. "I've heard of you. The woman at Grady's."

Kaitlin immediately backed away, mortified as a hot blush ran up her neck and face.  "I'm sorry. I didn't mean - that was so inappropriate."

"Don't apologize. I should have had a little more tact. It's a small town. Besides," he said as he smirked, "I kinda liked it. Listen, I gotta run Katie."



"Kaitlin." she corrected.

"No, I think Katie fits you better," he said and grinned. Kaitlin hoped the ground would swallow her up. Was he really flirting with her? She barely heard what he said next, "So, I will tell the Chief you are going to be living there - in exchange for providing cleaning and cooking services. You will have access to the community gardens so you can get all of the fresh fruit and vegetables you need. If the kids like to fish, I think one of the guys has some fishing tackle and would be happy to lend it to you. Also, I know you will need money. The lady at the consignment shop has bees that she needs someone to help out with. Tell her Reid sent you. I will call and let her know you will be coming by. Let me know if the guys give you any problem. They are good men, they shouldn't. We have a room with three beds connected to a bathroom. You and your kids can sleep there. I work at a different station so won't be by much, but, maybe I will make a point to stop by more now. Bye Katie."

Kaitlin was dumbfounded. How was this man so nice to her? Maybe the creepster wasn't really that bad. Reid had heard of her. From the creepster? At least it was good. She couldn't wait to get back and tell the boys!

Needless to say Reese and Ben were excited to be going to a firehouse. Ben asked if they had real fire trucks and fire poles that you slide down. Kaitlin laughed and said he might even get to sit inside one of them and learn how to use the poles. Good to see Ben excited. They packed up their meager belongings and headed over to the firehouse to get settled in.

The firehouse is awesome to say the least. And it smelled WAY better. The boys were in hog heaven! Reese quickly discovered the fire poles and loved sliding down them.

Ben was a little hesitant at first but after a few days he soon mastered it as well.

The only thing Kaitlin was a little concerned with was the sheer size of the firehouse. It's huge. The boys will definitely have to help me keep everything in shape - but she knew that little Ben would probably do it without even asking. Bless his heart.

The little room upstairs was perfect. Three beds and the best part, a full bathroom right next to it! No more trips to the gym to sneak a shower. At the end of each day, everyone usually falls into bed exhausted while poor little Maddy has to take the floor. At least it isn't cold and drafty like the junkyard.

Go to Chapter 5

Go Back to Chapter 3

Author's Notes:  Because I loaded Kaitlin's husband, Newt, to the sim bin the game pushed him into one of the vacant houses. When I saw him in the consignment shop - I was as shocked as Kaitlin! So I quickly took him into CAS and he now has brown eyes and a different hair style!  He was unemployed and there were NO firemen. So I cheated him into the firemen's job because it worked with the story along with a couple of other sims hoping they would show up. Sadly only one of them did. Not sure why he suddenly changed clothes in the middle of the interaction...weird. :)


9 comments:

  1. It's like How I Met Your Mother, where everyone has a doppelganger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's crazy how that works out and we see all these doppelgängers, creepy even. I'm glad they're coming up in the world a little, but poor Maddy still having to sleep on the floor. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. In hindsight I would have put a rug or something to use as a pallet for her somit didn't look so awful! Yes, seeing Newt's doppelgänger freaked me out at first!

      Delete
    2. It can be kind of tricky when you're spending a lot of time on a community lot. Yeah, those doppelgängers are pretty freaky. I know one time in one of my games, I had three Lenoras in my town. Imagine running into yourself. LOL.

      Delete
  3. She should file a restraining order, and then she wouldn't really be afraid. There would be at least 100 yards between them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! Then Newt might find out where she was...she is living off the grid as much as she can. 😏

      Delete
  4. Oh my, Newt's twin brother, haha. Well, certainly not funny for Kaitlin. But she got lucky this time because this Newt is much better than the other one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this Newt is much nicer than the other one.....or is he? 😈😈

      Delete