Friday, March 17, 2017

Chapter 34 - Meet Brooke

Day 34 - Rolled 14 - Teen gets into fight. 

When Leroy arrived at Kaitlin's apartment, he let himself in with the master key because she wasn't answering the buzzer. The girls were playing quietly and Sam was in the swing. “Kate," he called out, "Where are you? Is everything okay?”

As he got further into the room, he saw her on the couch. She hadn't responded so he went over to her and shook her gently. “Kate!”

When Leroy touched her, she jumped up and yelped. “It’s me, Leroy!” he said putting his hand on her back and rubbing to soothe her while she leaned on him.

When Kaitlin realized who was with her, she held her hands in her head and rocked back and forth until her heart rate went back to normal, then the words came spewing out. “Leroy, I shouldn't have doubted you. Reid is having me followed. He hasn't been over because he is stuck at the station for a couple of weeks. He knows I am still married and he threatened to tell Newt where I am unless...Leroy, he knows him! He said knows Newt! Reid wants me to be with him again or he is going to tell Newt where I am. I am afraid, for you, for all of us. Leroy, he's insane."

Leroy sat down next to her and pulled her into his lap. “Shhh. It's okay, I am here now? Where are the boys?”

“Boys? Oh God, the boys! Ben is outside riding his bike and Reese is at the park.”

“Kate, they are okay. I'm going to sit here with you until you calm down. Then we need to talk. I have to explain why I left.”

“Okay. It's okay. I'm better now. Now that you are here. But you don't owe me any explanations.”

“Of course I do. No secrets remember. We are in this together and Kate, I love you sweetheart. Okay?”

“Mmm huh,” was all she could say.

Leroy didn't let her go. He continued to hold her and rub her back while he spoke softly, “Alright. The morning you left my house, two of Reid's goons came to my door to deliver a message. He threatened Hailey if I didn't take her and stay away from you.”

“Leroy! NO!” said Kaitlin as she sat up to look at him.

Leroy just pulled her back to him. “It's okay baby, just let me finish. I picked up my phone to call you and tell you what I was going to do and I also needed to be sure you were okay. When I picked it up, I saw your texts and knew I couldn't call you. I got on a plane and went to Riverview and texted you when I got there. I have a friend that is a P.I. in Riverview. I hired him to investigate Reid. I stayed to see if he could find anything I could use to stop this madness before I returned.”

“Why didn't you call me?”

“Because I knew you didn't send the second text and Reid likely had your phone. I wanted him to think we weren't together. It was damn hard. I worried about you the entire time. Kate, while I was there, I bought a piece of property on the river for us. It took over a week to work it out and to get it closed. I had to create a couple of shell companies so it wouldn't be easily traced back to me...to us...in case we had to run...in case we still have to.”

Kaitlin looked up at Leroy. She was overcome at what he had done for her, but she loved him too much for it to continue. “Leroy,” she said tenderly, “You should take Hailey and let me go back and face the music. That's how to stop this. I can't put everyone through this anymore. It simply has to stop.”

“No! Hailey needs us both. That is not an option. I will protect you and we will get through this. This is the last time that bastard is going to mess with me. He has stood in my way my whole life. It stops now. I will stay here tonight, maybe a few days. As long as he is stuck at the station for next two weeks, he won't have time to bother us. In the morning, I will call my friend and get a recommendation for private security until we sort it out.”

A small cry came from behind them. Kaitlin sighed and smiled at Leroy, “Uh oh, sounds like your daughter is calling your name....”

Leroy untangled himself from Kaitlin and stood up to get Hailey.  As he started to walk away Kaitlin called to him, “Leroy?” she said and waited until he turned to look at her, “I love you too. And thank you.”

* * * 

Brooke called Reese and asked him to meet her at the park.  She had something important to tell him. When he saw her he could tell she had been crying so he pulled her to him. “Brooke, what happened?” he asked.

Instead of answering she asked him to sit down with her so they could talk and led him to a park bench away from everyone. Once seated she looked at Reese. “I wish there was an easier way to say this - Reese, I'm pregnant.”

Reese's eyes went wide. “But we have been careful….Oh God...the party? That was 3 months ago! God Brooke I am so sorry. Are you okay?”

“No, yes, I don’t know…but Reese, I am keeping my baby,” said Brooke.

Reese pulled her next to him. “Our baby Brooke, not your baby, our baby. I would never ask you to get rid of our child. Brooke, I love you. You know I do.”

“I already told my father. I also told him I love you. I should have told you first but I was afraid. I'm sorry Reese.”

“What did he say?”

“He said we should get married.”


“Baby, I would love to marry you. But there is something you need to know about me before you decide you want to do that. Brooke - I already have a son. Sam, he is my son, not my half brother.”

“What? You are with someone else?”

“No, no, no. Not at all. Please let me explain. When we first moved here, I was alone and it was really hard. Sam's mother made me feel special. She was my first and well,neither of us knew what we were doing. When she found out, she wanted to terminate. I couldn't believe she wanted to do that and I refused. I now have full custody of Sam. She gave up her rights to him.”

“That's awful…It's Jade, he’s Jade’s? That's why she went away to school.”

“It was part of the agreement. Everyone thinks he is my brother. My half sister and Sam were born on the same day. Jade’s parents didn't want her to be held back by a child. I think that's sick. He is a sweet child and loved. If we married, you could adopt him if you wanted and then he would be yours too. I love you Brooke. We will figure it out.”

Reese started to kiss Brooke when a larger hand pulled him roughly off the bench.

Brooke's brother hit him in the ribs sending him to the ground.

Before Reese could get up he punched him in the face. Brooke screamed and grabbed her brother. “It’s just as much my fault so leave him alone. Go home!”

When Brooke began to scream he got up. As he turned to leave he shouted at Reid, “You better marry her and make this right!”

Brooke helped him up. “Let's get you home so you can get cleaned up. Reese, I'm so sorry about this.”

* * *

Kaitlin looked up when Reese walked in holding his stomach with blood on his cheek and his other arm wrapped around an attractive brunette she figured was Brooke. He looked at both his mother and Leroy standing there staring at them and said, “Mom, Leroy, meet Brooke. Brooke, my mother and her uh, baby daddy he thought but settled on just his name, Leroy.”

Kaitlin rushed over to Reese without acknowledging Brooke, “Oh my God Reese! What happened.”

“I'm okay Mom,” protested Reese.

Brooke looked at her shoes and said, “My brother sucker punched him. I'm so sorry.”

Leroy looked between the two of them settling on Reese, “Why Reese?”

Now Reese and Brooke exchanged a look, “Let's sit down," said Reese and walked over to the sofa groaning as he sat down. He patted the empty place next to him, “Here Brooke, sit here next to me.

Kaitlin looked at Leroy and he just shrugged and sat in the chair, still holding Hailey. Kaitlin took the seat next to Brooke.

“Mom, Brooke and I want to get married….” said Reese.

“What! That's ridiculous! And what does that have to do with getting in a fight?!”

“Brooke is pregnant,” said Reese quietly. Brooke was studying her shoes. Reese squeezed her hand to comfort her.

“Oh, Reese…” was all Kaitlin could get out as and looked away so he wouldn't see the disappointment on her face.

“I'm sorry Mom. We both got really drunk at the pool party at the end of school and well, we weren't careful,” said Reese trying to explain.

Kaitlin was quiet. She couldn't believe this was happening again. All that kept going through her head was - been there, done that, bought the damn t-shirt...She was so disappointed in Reese. Leroy just sat in stunned silence watching Kaitlin to be sure she was okay.

“Mom. She knows about Sam,” said Reese to break the uncomfortable silence.

Kaitlin couldn't look at Reese yet so she turned to address Brooke. “Brooke, honey,” she said gently as she could, “do your parents know yet?”


Brooke looked up at Kaitlin shocked at how sweet she was being, “Yes Ma’am. Well, my father knows. I don't have a mother. He, um, said I should get married. I think he wants me out of the house.”

“Brooke, you know you and Reese can't get married. Not now,” said Kaitlin.

Brooke squeezed Reese’s hand before answering, “But I want to get married! I love Reese.”

“What about school?”

“I guess I would quit. Take care of the baby.”

“And your father is okay with that?”

“He said Reese needs to take responsibility for what he did.”

“Well, I don't disagree with that Brooke, but there are different options.”

“NO!” gasped Brooke wide-eyed, “I won't do that! I am keeping our baby!”

Kaitlin was so happy that she wanted the baby and gave her a small smile, “Brooke, honey, calm down. That's not what I meant. I am pretty sure Reese wouldn't have it any other way either. I simply meant you don't have to get married and quit school. If anything, you could home school, but you need to finish your last year and being married won't help anything.”

“I could do that?” asked Brooke.

“Of course you can. We can work with the school to make it happen. Just know, I will not agree to a marriage. You are entirely too young and emotional to make that sort of decision. After the baby is born and you both graduate, should you still want to be together, then that will be your choice. Yours and Reese’s. Not mine. And not your father’s.”

“But…Mrs. Murdock….”

Kaitlin interrupted her. “Look Brooke, you and Reese got carried away and didn't think through the consequences of your actions. A child is going to be born as a result. That is enough to deal with without the added stress of marriage. Quitting school and getting married will not necessarily make a good home for your child. You need a good foundation. Having to go through the next 5 or so months of being a pregnant teenager - surprisingly - that will be the easy part. What comes after, that's the hard part. I won't allow you to get married because ‘it's the right thing to do’ because it's not.”

 “But Mom, I love Brooke! I want to marry her.”

“No Reese. I won't change my mind on this. Marriage is a partnership that shouldn't be entered into lightly. I am relieved that you two seem to care very much for each other. You won't love Brooke any less after the baby is born and the two of you graduate. In the meantime, I expect you to be there for her. Go to appointments with her. Help her through the delivery and help care for the baby, just like you do with Sam. Which is a whole other reason a marriage is not a good thing. Brooke needs to get to know Sam. You two are a package deal. Brooke and Sam need to bond or a marriage between you two will never work.”

“I’m afraid my Dad will be really upset,” mumbled Brooke.

“Brooke, I will talk to your father so we are all on the same page.”

“Thank you Mrs. Murdock.”

“Come on Brooke,” said Reese angrily, “I need to get out of here for a few minutes. Let's go for a walk.” When Reese tried to stand up, he doubled over in pain.

“Sorry, Reese,” said Kaitlin, “The only place you are going is the emergency room.”

Go to Chapter 35

Go Back To Chapter 33

12 comments:

  1. I love Kaitlin and Leroy. Brooke seems nice, I hope they will make it work. It's like they're running a daycare...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, even her friend wanted to dump her kid with her and called it a daycare! Leroy and Kaitlin are adorable together. They just clicked. I think Brooke does care for Reese and he desperately wants someone in his life. He's really mad at his mother right now because she won't let them get married.

      Delete
  2. Glad her and Leroy are working things out...And Katilin is only but right, first you need to getyour stuff together...and I still want's Rein to die in a hole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol....stay tuned....you might or might not get your wish.

      Delete
  3. I will give Kaitlyn credit where credit is due. Every time Reese does something crazy, she deals with it in an admirable way. I really hope you do rolling pregnancy though, lol.😆

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many babies. 0_0 Hopefully Reese finally learns his lesson (and you stop rolling babies).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gawd...me too! If I roll pregnancy again it will have to be Kaitlin. I can't do that to Reese unless it's after he and Brooke's kid is born.

      Delete
  5. Well, that went about as well as could be expected. Kaitlin is right about them not getting married. I do have to admire Reese and Brooke for sticking in there but they need more to live on than just lust and what they believe to be love. I do hope it works out for them. 💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too! Brooke seems to really care about Reese. I think Reese will be a really good husband and father.

      Delete
  6. Poor Reese - he appears so irresponsible because of your rolls. Kaitlin is really patient, but she's screwed up big time many times, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh...if she got angry with him it would be the pot calling the kettle black.

      Delete