Monday, March 13, 2017

Chapter 32 - Where's Leroy?

Day 32 - rolled 18. Sick kids.  

Kaitlin left Reid's home feeling better about things. He had not forced himself on her at all. When she rebuffed his advances he quickly backed off. He had unnerved her when they met at the consignment shop, but he had allowed her to leave without incident. His intentions, however, were quite clear; he wanted to get back with her. Maybe the night at his home had been worth it. She had a hard time believing that Reid would continue to threaten Leroy after making it clear she wasn't interested in getting back with him.


When Leroy had finally texted her back his message was cryptic:


Kaitlin knew he would have been upset that she was with Reid but never expected him to leave town without calling her first. She had been afraid to text him back in case Reid got her phone again. So she had waited until she got home and called him instead.

Leroy answered and instead of a welcoming greeting, it was reminiscent of the way he greeted her when she went to his home, “Kate. Why are you calling?”

“Hello to you too,”’she said sarcastically, “I was worried.”

“I'll be back in two or three weeks. Don't. Call. Me. I will call you when I get back. Bye.”

He disconnected the call before allowing her to say more. What was he trying to say without saying it? Something was definitely wrong.

* * * 

It had been 2 weeks since Leroy left - probably the longest two weeks of Kaitlin’s life. If he wasn't back soon she would be forced to call him again. She missed Leroy horribly and was so worried. On top of that, Reid continued to call and stop by even more often than before.

This morning Kaitlin woke up to crying and moaning, a sure sign she had sick kiddos. How is it that everyone gets sick at the same time? she thought. When she went to tag Reese to help, he was also sick. Great. Today was going to suck. She would even welcome Reid's help at this rate since Leroy was still gone. At least Reese and Ben didn't want her to hold them. But Ben still wanted to be in the same room with her so she settled him on the couch.

All three little ones were crying when the buzzer sounded. She prayed it was Leroy, but when she answered, Reid's voice came over the intercom.

“I have a house full of sick kids. You really don't want to come in,” she said tiredly, and I look like death warmed over, she thought then wondered why she cared.

“All the more reason to let me in Katie, I can help,” he insisted.

She thought only about two seconds before replying. “Whatever, just don't say I didn't warn you,” and buzzed him in.

When Reid walked in, he saw she was right. Katie looked like she hadn't slept and all the babies were crying including the one she was holding. He looked around, “Where’s Reese? Why isn't he helping? You don't have enough arms to hold all of them.”

“Sick too.”

“Ooookaaaay…” he said assessing the situation, “Baby swing?”

“Costs money I don't have,” she said wearily.

“I'll be back in 20 minutes. Will you be okay until I get back?”

Kaitlin rolled her eyes at him as he left.

 * * *

Almost exactly 20 minutes later the buzzer sounded, “I'm back, with help,” came the voice over the intercom. Katie buzzed in Reid.


Kaitlin stared in disbelief as Reid walked in carrying a baby swing. He winked at her and set it up in
corner.

Then he retrieved Sam from his crib and gently put the crying baby in the swing. The rocking motion quickly soothed him and soon Sam was fast asleep.

Then Reid picked up Maddy and she instantly snuggled into him calming. He sat on the couch next to where Ben was napping. Kaitlin still had Hailey and settled into rocker and began gently rocking her. The cacophony of crying children was over for the first time all morning.

Kaitlin smiled weakly at Reid, “Thank you,” she said gratefully, “Who knew.”


Reid laughed, “If I knew it just took a baby swing to steal your heart, I would done that a long time ago,” then more seriously he said, “Katie, there's a lot you don't know about me. You just need to give me - us - another chance.”

Kaitlin was relieved to have help. She knew she messed up by allowing Reid in to help her, but Leroy was nowhere to be found and she desperately needed his assistance. On the bright side, she hoped Leroy’s absence would make Reid leave Leroy alone. Leroy would understand when he came back, but she still didn't want to lead Reid on.

She sighed and said as gently as she could, “Reid, I appreciate all you are doing to help, but please don't read more into it. I really don't think we could ever work. We are from totally different worlds and my life is a mess.”


“But...there's always a but isn't there Katie?” said Reid getting upset, “Why you would rather be with the sl - uh - Chapman is beyond me. Katie - what did I do...why did you...?” he asked with pain in his voice.

Reid's words hurt and Kaitlin was awash in guilt. She was directly responsible for his pain. Reid had never been anything but kind to her and she had returned that kindness by cheating on him. She was cheating on Newt too with both of these men. She was no better than Newt, the man she ran from. The thought disgusted her and she couldn't look at Reid any longer. She should never have had relationships with either man. That was foolish and irresponsible. Tears were beginning to burn behind her eyes.

Kaitlin held the little girl she was rocking tighter and began to wonder if maybe Hailey wouldn't be better off with her father. Leroy loved Hailey and would be an excellent father with or without her. The two of them would bond, she had no doubt. If she asked Leroy to take custody of his daughter, then perhaps she could put both men out of her life and focus on the now fatherless children she had. The mere thought of it gutted her and the tears began to stream down her face. She didn't know if she could survive being separated from the two of them….

Reid watched her face go from worry to pain as tears began to fall. “I'm sorry,” he said gently, “It's okay Katie. I didn't mean to upset you. You don't have to answer. But Katie, I am here, not him.” Then he looked at the now sleeping children. “Look, darlin', these two are sleeping. Let's lay them down then I will get you some tea and maybe you can take a hot bath and relax. I will be here if anyone needs anything.”

He was being so sweet and that made her cry harder. “I can't,” was all Kaitlin could squeak out.

“Yes -”

“No Reid. It's not fair to you, or Leroy. I can't be with either of you.”

“Can't? Or don't want to?” he asked, his curiosity peaked when she lumped Chapman in with him.

“Can’t!!!!  I can't be with anyone!!!  I'm married!” No sooner were the words out of her mouth than she knew she had messed up. She was so damn tired she couldn't think straight.She missed Leroy and Reid confused her. She didn't know what she was saying.

“What? You're married? To Chapman?”

“No….we aren't...I meant was married, not married.” Shit!  Reid was silent for a few minutes. She knew he didn't believe her.

“Katie, you aren't divorced? Who are you married to?” he asked quietly confirming her suspicions.

When Kaitlin didn't answer he pressed her gently, “What is his name Katie?”

Ben had woken up during the exchange. “What was whose name?” asked Ben.

Reid stood up turned to the sleepy child. “Your Daddy. What's his name Ben?”

Ben frowned before answering. “Newton J. Murdock,” he said to Reid then looked at his mother and added, “but he likes to be called Newt, right Mom?” Kaitlin could feel the color draining from her face and snuggled Hailey closer.

“Newt Murdock?” repeated Reid slowly and frowning like he was trying to place the name. Ben nodded to Reid. Finally Reid addressed Kaitlin and to her relief, didn't ask more about her husband. Instead he said, “Come on, I'm going to put Maddy down, she's asleep,” then nodding at the infant in Kaitlin's arms, “and you can lay her down too.”

Then he looked at Ben and said, “Buddy, you need to go lie down in your Mom’s bed. Maybe take a comic to read. I will tuck you in and you can get us if the babies wake up. Okay?”

Ben looked at Reid and said, “Okay, Mr. Reid,” and got up to go into the shared bedroom followed by Kaitlin and Reid with their sleeping charges.

When Reid and Kaitlin returned to the living area, Kaitlin was no longer crying. She stared at Reid in disbelief and asked, “How do you do that?”

Reid smiled and replied, “Katie, you underestimate my powers of persuasion.”

That sent unexpected chills down Kaitlin’s spine. She forced a smile and said, “Thank you so much. How much do I owe you for the swing. It was definitely worth whatever it cost.”

“My gift to you,” he said sweetly.

Kaitlin was too tired to argue. “Thanks. Instead of tea, I really need to take a nap while it's quiet. You don't have to stay. I think I got this from here, but, thanks again for your help.”

Reid reached down and took her hands in his. She didn't pull away, much to his delight. He looked into her eyes and said, “Since you and Chapman haven't tied the knot, seems there is still a possibility for us. I will leave for now Katie, but I am not gone.” Then he laughed, “As crazy as it seems and in spite of your ‘messy life’, I think I am in love with you and I am pretty sure you feel the same about me and are just too afraid to admit it. Darlin', it’s okay to let someone help you. I can do more for you than anyone especially Chapman. Don't forget that. Please, call me if you need help. I am right here and I won't leave you.”  Reid kissed her on the forehead and left.

Kaitlin stood there looking at the closed door completely confused and exhausted. How could he be so forgiving? Why did he want her? She thought back to their time together. She had pushed him away for no reason other than she was pregnant and at the time, she was pretty sure it was his baby. And now that he knew she had cheated on him, he still wanted her. The kids loved him and he had helped Ben so much. She wondered if maybe Leroy was wrong and it wasn't Reid that broke in. And where was Leroy? The longer he was gone the more confused she became.

Go to Chapter 33

Go Back to Chapter 31

11 comments:

  1. Ooooh NO! NO!Please Katilin, come to your sences! HE is nuttty-nut!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This chick has no intuition when it comes to goodness. She can't tell Reid is a creep? I want to reach through the screen and shake some sense into her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh noooooooo! Kaitlin, what the FUCK are you DOING?!?!?! Reid is a complete NUTCASE and now, he knows who Newt is. This is NOT good, not good at all. Leroy needs to get his ass back to Twinbrook and take care of this situation pronto!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am laughing even more. Who knew sweetnightingale had a potty mouth. And yes. I agree. Leroy needs to get his ass back. And I sometimes wonder if Kaitlin is willfully blind. 😮

      Delete
    2. Oh man! This killed me and I am cracking up. 😁I can be sweet as pie but when I get going, I can cuss with the best of 'em. Hehehe! I bet she's gonna give him what for when he comes back. He'd better come back soon though because Reid will take total advantage of the situation.

      Delete
  4. Dun Dun Dun! My drama since is tingling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that like a spider sense? Lol. Yes so much crazy drama..

      Delete
  5. Noo, Kate, come on. And Ben just casually spilled Newt's name to him. Oh dear.

    ReplyDelete