Sunday, June 4, 2017

Chapter 42 - Thanksgiving Part 2 of 3

It was Thanksgiving morning and Kaitlin planned to have a traditional dinner with turkey and dressing and pumpkin pie for dessert. Fortunately Hailey was over whatever she had and was laughing and playing happily while Kaitlin busied herself in the Kitchen.


Leroy hadn't been able to come by the day before so he arrived early so he could help as much as he could with the kids. It was a complete mad house. But Kaitlin had everything under control even though she seemed somewhat distracted. Whatever was bothering her would have to wait.

Reese had suggested they invite Brooke's father and brother but only her brother could make it. Brooke welcomed him and they all spent a lot of time chatting and getting to know baby Jordan. Unfortunately, her father had to fill in at work and couldn't make it so her brother was going to take home leftovers for him.

Eventually dinner was served and talk was light and happy.  Finally they all dug in for some pumpkin pie. Leroy kept watching Kaitlin noticing she was unusually quiet during dinner.

After everyone ate, Kaitlin busied herself cleaning up while the rest of the adults got the kids settled and tucked into bed. Finally, Reese left with Brooke to take her home.

Leroy thought Kaitlin looked relieved when the house got quiet. Frankly, he was too. He could have some much coveted time alone with Kaitlin and maybe find out what was bothering her. Evenings when they could snuggle and talk were his favorite time. Their alone time was so limited with all of the children, but he wouldn't trade them for anything. Tonight he planned to talk about counseling.

They sat down and Leroy pulled her close. "That was nice," he said quietly, "but I am glad everyone's gone or sleeping. Are you okay? You seemed really distracted all day."

Kaitlin sighed and began to tell him about the previous day at work. Apparently Miranda Connors, Reid's mother, had been in the shop. “You should have heard what she was telling Angie,” said Kaitlin obviously upset, “It was such gossip and how does she know all of Reid's personal business anyway. He rarely even mentioned her. I didn't think they were close. But she was all about protecting him and saying really ugly things about you. I wanted to slap that smug look of her face. It was awful. Oh - and Cassie is supposed to be at their house today for Thanksgiving."

Leroy felt sick that she had to hear that. “He is her son Kate. She's going to see everything through rose colored glasses where it comes to Reid,” he reasoned.

“I don't know. It seemed more than that. She approached me and I'm pretty sure she already knew who I was. Reid knows, why wouldn't she? Frankly, she frightens me more than Reid does. She told Angie that Reid and I used to date and he still wanted to be with me.”

“Don't worry baby,” said Leroy soothingly. “The judge is going to let us know something after the holidays. They have been conducting their own investigation and didn't want to tip their hand. Soon we will have things under control. But, how have you been feeling otherwise? Anymore panic attacks?”

“No…I thought I might have yesterday. I had to go into the bathroom and calm down. Miranda frightened me so much. I wish this could just be over with. I want us to have a normal life," then she huffed, "well as normal as it can be." Leroy just laughed lightly.

"Leroy, I’m afraid if they file charges against Reid, she will tell Newt in order to get back at me. I don't know if Reid knows for sure why I left Newt, but I think he has a good idea. At any rate he knows I am hiding. It terrifies me that this is all going to end badly.”

Leroy had an idea. “Maybe you should try to call Newt. Feel him out?” he suggested.

“NO!!!” shouted Kaitlin jumping up, “Not until I have a house! You already know this Leroy!”

“Okay, okay. Please, just sit back down sweetheart,” said Leroy as calmly as he could, swallowing down his frustrations. Kaitlin sat down wringing her hands. He waited for her to settle down before beginning again. “So tell me how how it is going? I can start helping you looking for a house or maybe some property you can build on. It might even be faster to build because it will take less money. I can contract it out for you at no charge and we can do some of the work ourselves.”

Kaitlin sighed sadly, “It's not going. There have been a lot of extra expenses but things are getting better. Reese is helping and my tips are growing. Maybe another 6 months and then we can start looking?”

Leroy was so frustrated with her. Six months was a lifetime when he could have them in a home in 30 days or less. “Hmmm. Then let me see if I can find a piece of property. You may have enough to buy it and then we can start building. That way you don't have to wait and buy something you have to fix up. And that way we can get you a larger home...one with space for our family.”

Kaitlin snuggled into Leroy and he felt relieved. He just knew she was getting ready to come apart. “You would do that for me?” she asked.

Leroy decided now might be a good time to bring up therapy. “Baby, I want this over as much as you. Of course I would. I would do anything for you - but there is only so much I can do. Kate, you have to take care of you. Babe, you know you need to see a doctor about your attacks - right?”

“That costs money Leroy.  Anyway, after...after I get my house and can get a divorce, then I will be fine and won't be afraid anymore and the attacks will go away,” reasoned Kaitlin.

So stubborn! thought Leroy. “Kate, you can barely function. I'm worried about you,” he pleaded.

“Leroy, I'm sorry. I - I will be better. I promise,” she said meekly.

“Kate! This is what I'm talking about! Damn it! Apologizing every time you think something is wrong isn't helping you! Everything is not your fault!” She began to pull away from him and he noticed her eyes going wild. So he quickly softened his tone and muttered, “Never mind. Let's get you to bed.” But it was too little too late. He could tell his sweet Kate had gone somewhere else in her mind.

Kaitlin jumped and off the couch and started pleading with him. “No! Please…” she cried, “I'm sorry...I will...be better. I promise!” Leroy stood up to go to her like he did last time.


At the same instance, the front door opened and Reese walked in and heard his mother's words. He saw what appeared to be Leroy trying to grab her. He looked from her to Leroy. “Get away from her right now!" he growled, "What the fuck Leroy?”

Kaitlin heard Reese's voice and looked at him, her eyes wild, “Reese! Go, leave!”

Shit! thought Leroy. “Kaitlin, it’s okay. Look at me please,” he begged her and hoped Reese would just stay put. But he didn't.

Reese began to walk towards his mother. “I'm not going anywhere Mom. What did he do to you?”

“Stay there Reese,” said Leroy with an unnatural calm, “Please. It's a flashback I think. I need to calm her down.”

“Reese - go!!!” cried Kaitlin, “No - Newt - Don't, please! It's not his fault, he's a child!”

“Mom - it’s okay, come to me. Dad's not here. It's okay,” said Reese evidently figuring out some of what was going on.

Kaitlin looked at Leroy-cum-Newt and when he didn't move she started towards Reese's open arms. When she got to him they just held each other saying it was okay. Then Reese looked at Leroy and said, “Leave now asshole.”

Leroy looked at Kaitlin in her son's arms and his heart broke for both of them. He was pretty sure she would be okay in a few minutes as long as Reese stayed calm, but Reese didn't fully understand what was going on. Hell, I don't either thought Leroy as he tried to figure out how to defuse the situation without leaving. He couldn't leave her like this, he simply couldn't. He had to be there when she came out of it. “Reese, just hold her until she calms down," he said softly, "I am going into the bedroom to wait, but I'm not leaving. Okay?”

Reese just glared at him for a few minutes, while Kaitlin sobbed in his arms saying I'm sorry over and over. Finally Reese nodded in the direction of the bedroom and Leroy let out a sigh of relief, walked into the bedroom and sat down on the edge of the bed to wait.

Go to Chapter 42  -Part 3 of 3

Go Back to Chapter 42 - Part 1





16 comments:

  1. Gahhhh! So frustrating :( I feel like Reese should really know better than to think Leroy would ever do anything to harm Kaitlin. And as for her... She really, REALLY needs that help fast. It's so upsetting to see her continue breaking down like this. Leroy has the patience of a saint!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Reese's defense - and we will hear from him in part 3 - he hasn't seen her act like this before so he automatically assumed it was Leroy...He just went into protective mode.

      Leroy was trying hard to keep his cool, but then lost it and had to reel it back in.

      Delete
  2. Grrrrra, this is getting more and more frustrating! :( Those attacks arw going to get the better of Kaitlin, who is going to wind up in the hospital...or worse...if she doesn't do something to get them under control. Leroy is trying his damndest and I don't blame him for getting frustrated. Reese is making the situation MUCH worse. This just isn't good all around. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely time for therapy - no,doubt. Hopefully after this Kaitlin will see that.

      Delete
  3. OH MY .. she needs help! Reese should know there is something wrong .. ids usually do even if they deny it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reese has never seen her not in control. And he hasn't been around as much with his own issues (2 babies, school and job) so he is looking for someone to blame. Plus he's always had a hard time fully accepting Leroy. We will see it from his perspective in part 3.

      Delete
  4. Poor Kaitlin. So glad Reese was there. It must be so difficult for Leroy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I am glad Reese saw it and was able to help her. Leroy is a saint. He does lose his temper but more out of frustration than anything else..

      Delete
  5. Girl, you need help ASAP, i'm pretty sure she has what soldier have after war, but domestic-abuse related...She needs to see a theraphist! Leroy could try to not angry at her so much because of this things, too, I mean, he knws she has the attacks...And I think there will be a little bit of tension in the house after that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully this was a wake up call for her.. I think he is figuring it out that raising his voice is a trigger for her. But he can't walk on eggshells around her. She needs to work on why that happens.

      Delete
  6. so frustrating to see katie being so stubborn! :( not only that, but i feel like the closer it gets to the judge making a decision, the closer everything is going to reach the top of the mountain and go downhill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No kidding. Maybe this was enough to make her listen. And yes, everything is coming to a head.

      Delete
  7. Poor Reese. The way that looked when he walked in, it probably looked like his worst nightmare coming true again. He's still so young to have to deal with this. But at least he heard Kaitlin call Leroy Reese too. Perhaps that will help convince her to go to therapy. I'm glad Leroy didn't leave, but I can't imagine how this will get better quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes... It was so his worst nightmare come true. And Leroy wasn't going anywhere this time! He was going to make damn sure Reese knew what really happened. And it was a good thing he heard her call Leroy Newt.

      This was a huge wake up call for Kaitlin.

      Delete
  8. It's so frustrating to be so helpless. She needs therapy asap.

    ReplyDelete