Sunday, February 12, 2017

Chapter 23 - Sloppy Seconds

Day 23 - Rolled 14 - Teen gets into fight at school

3 weeks later, when Kaitlin received a call from the school, it was from Reese’s school not Ben's. Once again, Kaitlin braced for the worst, hoping for the best. Reese had been in a better mood since his birthday, so she wasn't sure why they would be calling, maybe he was falling behind in his school work due to spending so much time at the park.

“Yes, this is Mrs. Murdock. How can I help you?”

“Your son has been fighting. You need to come and pick him up. He is suspended for the next two days.”

Kaitlin's heart sunk. Crap! Just when things seemed to be getting better he gets into a fight. This wouldn't help her make her case that she could handle her children alone and besides, he of all people should know not to resort to violence. She let out a breath and said, “I will be right there.” She fired up the Titanic, as their car was now affectionately known, and went to pick him up.

Kaitlin waddled into the school’s office, Maddy in tow.  “Hi, I am here to pick up Reese Murdock.”

The office administrator looked up and took in Kaitlin's appearance. “I'm sorry ma’am, only his mother, ummm...” she said as she scanned the paperwork for her name, “Kaitlin Murdock, can pick him up.”

“I am his mother. I am Kaitlin Murdock,” she said.

“Oh. Uh, okay, well, I will need to see ID - Mrs. Murdock,” she said clearly not convinced.

Kaitlin dug out her driver's license and showed the admin.

“Sure. Okay. Reese is right over there. He has already collected his things and is ready to go. He is not allowed back in the school for two days. I hope you and he know, fighting is not tolerated here.”


Kaitlin turned around and caught her breath as she took in her son’s appearance in much the same way the admin had just looked her over. Maddy squealed upon seeing his bloodied lip and black eye, “Reese got a boo-boo! Need a band-aid.”

Reese looked at his feet then looked back up at his mother, smiled sheepishly and asked more than stated, “You should see the other guy?”

“Not funny Reese,” said Kaitlin angrily, “You better have a good reason for this. You cannot solve problems with your fists...you of all people should know that.”


“He hit me first,” said Reese defensively.

“Let's go, we will discuss this at home.” Reese got up and followed his mother out.

* * *

The ride home was silent. Both Reese and Kaitlin too upset to talk. As soon as they walked in the house Reese headed for his bedroom. Kaitlin was determined to get to the bottom of it and followed him in there. “Now,” said Kaitlin, “start from the beginning….”

Reese let out a breath before beginning, “Someone saw me digging a TV out of the dumpster this morning and told the other kids. They started making fun of me and calling me garbage man. When Jade and I were together, they never said anything like that. They accepted me fine. Now that she is gone, they said she left town just to get away from the trailer trash. I told them to f-off, then they started shoving me and I lost it.”

Kaitlin's heart went out to him for having to endure that. At his old school he had lots of friends. “Oh, Reese,” she said, “You know you can't resort to violence.”

“You don't understand! I couldn't let them keep talking about her - us - like that.”

Kaitlin reached out to him but Reese shrugged away from her, “Just leave me alone!” he shouted and turned around to leave. "I am going to the park." He stormed out slamming the door.

Kaitlin let him go. She didn't know what else she could do to comfort him. He would have to work it out on his own. She took some comfort in the fact that he at least he told her where he was going.

* * *

Reese came home later that afternoon in a better mood. He had spent a few hours at the park and earned quite a bit in tips. He loved his guitar and playing always lifted his spirits. That in conjunction with the generous tips he received helped his attitude.

Relieved to see he was calmer, even rocking his sister to sleep, Kaitlin said goodbye and waddled across the street to work. At 8 months she was starting to feel like a whale.

* * * 

Now that spring was here she had been able to harvest fresh fruits again. She brought some with her to stock the bar so she could make better drinks. She was doing just that when she heard a familiar voice from the other side of the bar say, “So, it’s true.”

Shit, that fireman must have told him. “Reid…” she said simply when she stood up her pregnant belly on full display.

“In the flesh,” he said looking her over, “I just had to see with my own eyes. Shit Katie, why didn't you tell me? Didn't you think I might have wanted to know about this little development? We could have dealt with it if you would have told me sooner! Now, I don't have a choice. I am going to be a fucking father whether I want to or not!”

This is exactly why I didn't tell you, she thought. At first she was sad, then she went quickly to mad. How dare he talk to her like that. She shot back with barely controlled anger, “First of all - no one is asking you to be a father, and second of all - this is MY baby and I would NEVER have ‘dealt with it’ as you so flippantly put it. So you can just leave now. This is my fault, my mess. All I ever wanted from you was your friendship and I screwed it up and I am really sorry. You were so good for Ben and ….”

Reid walked up to the bar, leaned on it and laughed interrupting her. “Katie, darlin’," he said, "That was so I could get close to you. You intrigued me from the very first time I met you in that store and you asked for a job. I came on to you then and you didn't take the bait. Nor did you chase me like all of the others. You were a challenge and a mystery lady. Honey, I was hooked on you that very first day.”

Kaitlin had had enough. She needed to get away from him. He confused her. She walked around the bar to go upstairs and get Candy. As she walked by him she angrily whispered,“Get the Hell out."

That sobered him up and he quit laughing his tone more somber. He grabbed her arm to stop her from leaving. “Wait, Katie..." pleaded Reid, "I’m sorry. Listen, I admit I was up for the challenge, but Katie, I actually got to know you in the process and well, found myself thinking about you all the damn time. Somehow you captured my heart. I thought you felt the same way. But, when I was ready for more, YOU left me - apparently because you are carrying my child. That is crazy shit baby. It makes no sense. But then again, my Katie never makes sense. You always keep me guessing.”

“Reid, Let me go. I can’t…we can't…”


Reid pulled her to him. “Yes, you can. Katie, give us a chance. You are indeed a mystery, but one that I really want to figure out. Now that I know what your convoluted reason was for kicking me out, you know what baby? I still want you,” he said as he pulled her tighter and began to nuzzle her neck, “God you smell so good.”

Kaitlin gasped and froze when Reid pulled her closer to him, her fears kicking in. Reid released her so he wouldn't frighten her, holding his hands up. At the same time she backed away putting her arms around herself.

“Dammit Katie - relax," begged Reid, "I won't hurt you, I would never hurt you. I am NOT him.”

Kaitlin felt horrible about being afraid and tried to relax before responding, “I'm sorry Reid, I can't help it. It's not you."


At that Reid approached her again. This time she forced herself not to shy away from his touch as he gently took her hands and looked down at her. “Katie," he said gently, "whether you want it or not, you and I are now joined forever by virtue of that little “bundle of joy” growing inside you. This isn't over, Katie. We aren't over.”

He pulled her hands to his lips and kissed them as he continued, "You can’t get rid of your baby daddy that easy. Damn, Daddy, that's a new one for sure," he smiled and added, "but the more I say it, the more it grows on me. I mean, I do like your other rugrats, so having one of my own might not be as bad as I imagined.”

“You need to leave,” said Kaitlin under her breath.

Reid released her hands and kissed her on the forehead saying, “I will leave, but I will call you Katie.  You haven't seen the last of me. Don't shut me out anymore.” Then he turned and walked out.

Candice walked up to Kaitlin as soon as Reid left. “Are you okay sweetie?" she said startling Kaitlin.

"Candy!" said Kaitlin, "You scared me half to death. I didn't hear you come in. Yes, I'm okay."

"Why don't you make me a drink and tell me about it?" suggested Candice.

They walked over and Kaitlin went behind the bar to fix a drink for Candice. As soon as she sat down she started the interrogation. "Okay Kate," she said, "time to spill. Seems there is more to your relationship with Reid than you let on. You did date him. And you really are pregnant with his kid! Holy shit! You just took him off the market.”

“How much of that did you hear?" asked Kate mortified.

"Enough. So, it's true. You two are dating and you are having his kid."

"It's dated - past tense.”

“Honey, if that look he gave you was past tense I’d like to see present tense! I wish I had two men that looked at me like they look at you. Hell, I'd settle for one.”

Kaitlin looked at Candice confused. “Huh?”

Candice just laughed. “Good God girl, you have two men crazy about you and you don't even know it. And to top it off, you are pregnant and already have three kids. Damn girl, what kind love mojo do you have that makes men want any part of that shit? You should bottle it. You would be rich.”

“Two men?”

Candice rolled her eyes, “Do I have to spell it out? Leroy or Reid? Let me know which one you chose so I can be around to pick up the pieces of the other one's broken heart. I will take your sloppy seconds any day!”

Go to Chapter 24

Go Back to Chapter 22

8 comments:

  1. I could not agree more of what Candice said To Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geez, if lack of awareness were money, all of Kaitlyn's problems would be solved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, love candice, she's like the voice of the comment down here, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man oh man! Kate really has her head up her ass. LOL. Talk about being out of touch with reality. Candace had to lay it all out for her, and she was very good at it. I wonder if she will ever wise up and see what's right in front of her face.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And here Katie is still being so clueless!

    ReplyDelete