Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Chapter 21 - Twins?

Day 21 - half price groceries

The first thing Kaitlin did after the kids went to school was grab the paper. She needed to find a better paying job and a larger apartment. She found nothing she could afford or jobs she was qualified for but the grocery ad caught her attention. They had a half-price sale and dry goods were included! She had been so happy when Maddy was potty trained that she hadn't even thought about diapers, but now with her growing midsection, taking care of babies was in the forefront of her thoughts. What better time to part with some of her savings and stock up on diapers. She bundled up Maddy and headed to the store.

When they returned, she was surprised to see Reese and Jade in the dining room having an animated discussion when they both should have still been in school.

“Excuse me!”she said startling to two of them. They immediately stopped talking and looked at her. “What is going on? Why are the two of you here and not at school?”

Reese looked at Jade before answering. She was studying her shoes so he swallowed and answered, “Mom, can we sit down and talk?”

Kaitlin got weak kneed. All sorts of things ran through her head. She just hoped it wasn't as bad as they looked. Just a problem at school. Please let it be that, please let it be that, she prayed silently. “Sure,” she said and walked over to the chair and sat down, giving the two of them the couch.

Once seated, Kaitlin looked expectantly at her son. Finally he said weakly, “Jade and I need to tell you something. Promise not to get upset.”

“No promises,” replied Kaitlin.

Reese looked at his hands and Jade looked the other direction. Then he mumbled, “Mom, umm, Jade is pregnant.”

Kaitlin closed her eyes for a minute and heard Jade sob. Her thoughts were racing. Lecturing wouldn't help. They were so young. They were only Juniors in high school. They still had another year to go. Even younger than she was when she found herself in the same situation, hell she was in a similar situation now! This was so fucked-up! She must have waited too long. Reid had said they were already active. Why did she wait so long to talk to him? One thing she knew is they were not going to get married. She wouldn't allow it.


She opened her eyes and looked at Reid and repeated to be sure she heard it right, “Pregnant?” He shook his yes. Then she turned and gently addressed Jade, “Jade, honey, have you seen a doctor? Do you know how far along you are?”

Jade shook head no, “No, um, we just did a pregnancy test today to be sure. I - I think I have skipped like three cycles.”

“So about 4 months. Have you told your parents yet?”

“No.”

Reese spoke up, “Mom, I want to keep the baby. But Jade…”

“Wait, Jade wants to terminate?” asked Kaitlin.

“I can’t be pregnant, Ms. Murdock!” she said emphatically.

“Jade, honey, I am sorry, but you ARE pregnant and my son is just as responsible for that as you are. You are going to have to grow up and face the consequences of your actions - as painful as that is.”

“But, I don't want to get married…” she whined.

“And you absolutely will not! I won't allow it! Not before you graduate and then it will be your choice, no one else’s. However, if my son wants to keep his child then I will see to it that he can do that.”

“No, I already have scholarships for college...I can't have a baby.”

It suddenly became clear to Kaitlin that Jade just wanted it to go away - forever. “You don't want it?” asked Kaitlin.

“No,” she said quietly.

Reese started yelling, “Mom - I do! I am not giving my child away! Jade you can't get rid of it or give it away!”

“Reese, calm down. That isn't going to happen. Not if one of the parents wants the child.” Then Kaitlin turned to Jade, “Look Jade, you have to tell your parents. Termination is not an option. Have them come here this evening and we will figure it out together.”

“Yes ma’am,” she said then got up and left.

Kaitlin realized, as Jade stood up, that she did have a little bulge that you wouldn't notice if weren't looking for it. Her family just went from 4 to 6 in the blink of an eye. As disappointed as she was in the situation, she was proud of Reese for wanting to keep the baby. Unfortunately because he was in school, the brunt of the child's care, her grandchild, would fall to her at the same time her own baby would be born. Instead of one more mouth to feed, she would have two. It would be like raising twins.

Reese came up to her after Jade left, “I am sorry Mom, I should have come to you when I knew we would be together.”

Kaitlin pulled him into a hug and just held him for a few minutes. "Aren't the two of us a mess? I thought I would teach my children to learn from my mistakes. But I keep on making them so how could you? We will get through it Reese, I promise. And when I say mistake, honey, I don't mean you. You are the best thing that has happened to me. I couldn't love you more. Just as you will love your son or daughter. I am sorry you have had to grow up so quickly."

***

A couple of hours later, the buzzer sounded and Jade was back with her Mother.

Kaitlin had never met her. She would have remembered her. Mrs. Greenwood was an imposing figure. She was an elderly woman who carried herself with an air of authority, obviously accustomed to giving orders. Being in her presence, Kaitlin felt frumpy and unkempt; ashamed of her crappy apartment. She knew she shouldn’t feel that way but she was intimidated by her. It was no wonder Jade came to her for help before confiding in her own mother.


As they walked in, Mrs. Greenwood looked down her nose at Kaitlin with disgust, while Jade went straight to Reese, who wasn’t sure he even wanted to talk to her. He was still reeling from the fact that she wanted to terminate her pregnancy.

“Well, well. The hoodlum’s mother. I TOLD my daughter to keep away from the trash like you. Living in a dump! She KNEW that when she met your no good son! And now look at what he did to her!”

No one talked about her children like that - ever! “Excuse me, Mrs. Greenwood, but my son is NO hoodlum and it takes TWO to tango! Maybe if you ever talked to your daughter she would have told you she needed birth control!”

“Humph! We did talk before she dragged me over here. I told Jade we would take care of this. I am sure you can’t afford to! All you need to do is have him sign the release and we will be out of your hair and his spawn will be out of everyone’s lives!”

“I am sorry - did you just say get rid of their child? Reese will NOT sign a paper to allow her to abort the baby. He has already stated that. He wants to keep it.”

“She is not being saddled with a baby during her senior year. Are you really insane? We will just take care of it and we can all go on with our lives as if nothing happened.”

“NO!” shouted Kaitlin, “If she doesn’t want the baby, then as soon as it is born, we will take full custody. SHE can sign away her rights to the child. Reese will not.”

“That is absurd Ms. Murdock!”

Kaitlin had had enough of her attitude. "Enough of this Mrs. Greenwood. With all due respect, let's sit down and talk this out like adults. Jade, Reeese, come sit down. We have to work this out."

When everyone sat down, Kaitlin began, “Okay - I understand that Jade doesn't want this baby. But Reese does, correct kids?" They both shook their heads. "Okay, so hear me out." Then she glared at Mrs. Greenwood who had a scowl on her face as well, "As you may have ascertained by looking at me, I am also pregnant - our babies are likely due very close together, within a month if I am not mistaken. When Jade has her baby, I will take it and raise it as my own. We will simply tell everyone I had twins. But Jade, Mrs. Murdock, you will have to give Reese full custody, sign away her rights to the child. I will not have my son live in fear that his child will someday be snatched away from him.”

“Mother,” said Jade seeing a way out, “I can go away to school for the next 4 months. No one knows I am pregnant. Then after the baby is born, I can come back. That would work. Right? We can say I am studying abroad living with my Aunt.”

“Seriously, you clowns really want another mouth to feed?" spat out Mrs. Greenwood, then turned and addressed her daughter, "Jade, you don't have to do that. We can take care of this."

“No. I can't do that. I have thought about it. Mother, I can already feel it move, I just can’t…”

Jade’s mother let out an exasperated sigh and hung her head, “Of course not baby."

Kaitlin was shocked and relieved that the witch actually seemed to care that her daughter wouldn't have the heart to terminate the pregnancy since she had already felt movement and wasn't going to force her.

Mrs. Greenwood took a minute then got up and sat down next to Kaitlin getting in her face, "I will agree to this but we have terms as well. He is to cut off all communication with Jade effective immediately. Ms. Murdock, you will hear from us in the next couple of weeks with papers that we will both sign, allowing him to have full custody. But if he attempts to contact my daughter AT ALL, the deal is off and she will give the baby up for adoption. Make no mistake, this will be written into the contract. Do you two understand?”

Reese and Jade just looked at each other as she and her mother stood up to leave.

“I am waiting for an answer!” she bellowed.

“Uh, yes ma’am,” stammered Reese then turned to Jade and said, “Jade, I’m sorry. I lo---”

“ENOUGH!” shouted Mrs. Greenwood, “I said immediately! Come on Jade - let’s get out of this hell hole. Good day Ms. Murdock!" Jade practically ran out of the apartment followed by her mother, the click-click of her high heels sounding like a timer ticking down.

The papers were delivered to Kaitlin and Reese for signatures the very next day. It was official, she was going to have twins.

***

Kaitlin tried to keep things as normal as possible. Reese was suffering, but she continued to work. She had to. They needed the money now more than ever. So it was a nice distraction for Kaitlin when Leroy showed up at the bar the following week.


He stood and watched as Kaitlin mixed drinks. When she saw him she jumped and nearly dropped one of the bottles, but composed herself, flashed him a quick smile and continued mixing the drinks.

Finally when all the customers were served he spoke to her. “Kaitlin, you are getting to be a pro! Even when I startled you, you didn't drop anything! You are much too good for this dive."

Kaitlin smiled, "I had a great teacher."

"Yes, the master, but I believe the student has exceeded the master and is definitely more beautiful than ever. Even with child you glow. Maybe that is it. Pregnancy suits you.”

Kaitlin was surprised at how she felt when she saw him. She had missed their lighthearted back and forth banter. He was so easy to be around. Of course, the last time she saw him was almost two months ago when she told him she was pregnant. They parted ways angry at each other. She heard herself saying, “Leroy, hey. It’s good to see you. I want to apologize…”

He interrupted her smiling that smile that always broke down her defenses, “Stop it Kate. None are needed. But look at you. How can a pregnant lady look so damn sexy? Come around here so I can look at you,” then he called over her shoulder, “Candice, can you take care of the bar for a minute?”

Kaitlin walked around and then Leroy frowned, “Where’s your ruby heart Kate?” he asked with suspicion in his voice.

She had forgotten she always wore the necklace that Reid had given her. She put it in her drawer when he threw it back at her, “Oh, I must have forgotten to put it on after my shower,” she lied once again to Leroy. She was going to hell, she knew it.

“May I feel?” asked Leroy grinning as he reached his hand towards her growing middle, “It always amazes me how a little human can grow inside a woman.”

Yes, she was going straight to hell, don’t pass go, don’t collect $200. But she couldn’t help but smile and leaned back to make her baby bump accessible for him to feel. “Right there, I think that’s a foot. Oh, did you feel it kick?” she asked.

He pulled his hand away laughing and shaking his head, “Amazing, just like you Kate. Reid is one lucky bastard. I gotta run sweetheart, but I am glad I got to see you. You look great. Take care and if you need anything, please call,” Leroy leaned in and kissed her on the cheek and left.

Kaitlin put her hand on her cheek. She missed Leroy. She had wanted to tell him about Reese, but she couldn’t. The stupid contract said that no one could know that the baby was Jade’s. For all intents and purposes, it was legally her child, born of her womb. What power the Greenwood’s had over their attorneys she had no idea, but it was enough that it frightened her.

Go To Chapter 22

Go Back to Chapter 20

16 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i did a typo, whoops;
      poor jade, though even if Reese agreed to her getting the abortion, at 4 months it's highly unlikely she'd be able to get one done. :(

      Delete
    2. Yes...she was in denial for too long...

      Delete
  2. And here I was thinking that Jade and Reese were meant-to-be...Surelly was wrong, I hope Reese realized that Jade wasn't worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is disappointed with her for sure. She broke his heart, but the baby was more important to him.

      Delete
  3. Yikes, this whole chapter was one big jaw drop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's very hard for me to comment from my phone but I had to pause and say HOLY GUACAMOLE about this entire chapter haha It was insane! I don't mean in a bad way, just... woah. Haha this is a lot to take in! Poor Reese!!!! (And poor Kaitlin too!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am laughing so much at your comment. I couldn't figure out another way to get the baby! Everything in this story gets all twisted up as I try to make it all somewhat believable!

      Delete
  5. I've been wanting to say something about this last bad rolls and since it's finally came into fruition I guess I'll say it. It's ashamed that you've been building Reese to be a such a responsible man and also the "man" of the family and now the roll made him do to repeat his father's mistake. Well, I guess it's not really repeating itself since at least he had someone to guide him through this calamity, but still, I hope him the best as he's my favorite character still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. So disappointed in Reese. Glad you still like him. He is in an impossible situation - brought on by his irresponsible choices. And bad rolls! 😳

      Delete
    2. I mean, not saying that there isn't much likable character because I actually like them in a different way, but Reese is still one of the generally likable one. I guess Leroy is one of them too, but he's been complicating things lately hehe.

      Delete
    3. We will see a lot more of Leroy. 😉

      Delete
  6. What a royally messed up situation! I think it's safe to say that I totally want to punch Mrs. Greenwood in the damn face. LOL. How dare she stand in judgment of a situation she knows nothing about! She should walk a mile in Kaitlin's shoes and see how she likes it. I guess we also get to see Jade's true colors. I hope Reese can get over her because she's definitely not worth crying over. She messed up royally, but at least he will have his baby in the end. Leroy...it's good to see him again, but I don't like how Kaitlin is still lying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I am so relieved that Kaitlin stopped Jade from wanting to terminate the baby. They are going to have a huge family soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are - in a one bedroom apartment! Yikes!

      Delete