Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Chapter 54 - A New Beginning - Part 2 of 5

The 'twins' first birthday went well with the exception of picture time!


Ben actually played a little bit with Hailey, trying to get her to walk, standing her up and letting her go. Then he tried to get her to say 'Ben'. She said what sounded like Boo-Boo and Ben frowned. Then when he bent down and gave her a kiss, Kaitlin's heart melted just a little.




Maybe Ben would be okay, thought Kaitlin, but she knew he was only empowered by the knowledge that he would be seeing his father very soon. 

At 9 months, Jordan was finally big enough to sit in the high chair. Reese gave him some mushed up cake which he thoroughly enjoyed. Kaitlin thought he was the most beautiful child she had ever seen with his huge sweet inquisitive eyes. She thought he looked just like a brown-eyed version of his father.    

Everyone cleaned up and went to bed happy but anxious for the next day. Graduation. It was a hard earned right of passage for Reese and Brooke. Especially Brooke - studying and taking care of several babies every day.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The next morning, Kaitlin took lots of pictures of Reese and Brooke.







* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After the ceremony, everyone piled into Leroy's and Kaitlin's cars and headed to what would soon be Reese and Brooke's home.

Leroy was so proud and watched Brooke and Reese closely for signs of approval, but when Dakota grabbed Ben's hand and said, "Come on Ben, you don't have to be sad. It will be fun!!" everyone stopped talking. Out of the mouths of babes, thought Kaitlin.

When everyone recovered, Leroy took them on the grand tour. This was the first time Brooke and Reese had seen it. They settled the babies in the swings that Leroy had bought for them then followed Leroy around. Brooke was crying happy tears and hanging onto Reese. Leroy beamed. He was in his element. Kaitlin couldn't stop smiling.

Reese turned and shook Leroy's hand and Kaitlin went to hug Brooke. "Thanks man," said Reese, "Our family, owes you big time. You have helped us in spite of everything, plus you make my mother happy. I don't know if I can ever repay you. I apologize for ever thinking you were anything less than sincere."


Leroy wasn't going to let a handshake be enough and pulled Reese into a manly hug. Both Kaitlin and Brooke were getting emotional watching the two men finally come to terms with each other in a good way.

Kaitlin couldn't help thinking how much better this place was than where they currently lived. She knew without a doubt, that when they got the finishing touches on hers it would be perfect for them too. She was so happy. She knew that Leroy was going to be a very successful architect. Plus, she hadn't heard anything from Angie, so maybe she still had a job.

After the tour, Leroy went outside and started cooking hamburgers.

Kaitlin found the fishing tackle and tried to help Ben cast the line far enough over the deck to reach the water. He couldn't make it so she took him and Dakota down to the shore where he easily got the hook in the water. Once they got the hang of it, she went to help Brooke and Reese with the little ones.

No sooner had Kaitlin made it back to the deck, her phone rang effectively ruining her good mood. It was Newt. She stepped away and answered. “Hello Newt. What do you want? I'm really busy," she said to try and get him off the phone quickly.

“I'm fine. Thank you for asking. And how are you?” he said sarcastically.

“Look, I am at a party for Reese and I don't want it spoiled any more than you already spoiled my weekend.”

“What? How did I spoil your weekend?" he asked sounding sincerely confused.


"Divorce papers? Or did you already forget that tiny little tidbit?" she said furious.

"Shit. They weren't supposed to go out until next Friday. Kaitlin, I'm so sorry. I was going to tell you first. After our conversation, I thought I would save you the trouble and had them drawn up. It shouldn't be a surprise, I told you I wanted joint custody."

"I'm not signing yet Newt," she said calmer than she felt, "We need to talk about it first. So, if it wasn't that then why are you calling? I really need to go."

Newt sighed audibly, "I had a graduation present delivered to your apartment for Reese. I wanted to be sure he got it.” 

“I don't think that was a good idea Newt. He's not a fan.”

“I realize that. Look, it's a new guitar. I understand he is very talented and could use a new one.” 

“I didn't tell you anything about Reese! Are you spying on me?” She had to stop and take deep breaths. It was easier over the phone.

“Nothing so sinister Kaitlin. Calm down. Remember, Reid is my brother and he knows you and our kids pretty well. He told me. It's as simple as that.” 

She felt stupid. Why did he always make her feel inferior? “Okay. But he probably won't accept it. I don't like you trying to buy your kids affection.”

“It's his graduation Kaitlin, not some random gift. I needed to do something to begin to bridge the gap between us. This is a first step is all.”

“Fine. I need to go.”

“Wait! Kaitlin! I really need you to consider signing the papers so we can get this divorce over with. I want to be able to see my kids and we both need to be able to move on with our lives.”

“NO! Not like they are!” she said louder than she intended and Leroy looked up. He walked over to check on her.

She could tell by his expression he knew it was Newt. “Newt?” he questioned. Kaitlin nodded. “Just hang up,” he barked, “You don't have to talk to him. Not today Kate.”

Kaitlin sighed, “Newt…” she started but he interrupted her.

“I heard. We will talk about this later. You can't put it off any longer. Please, tell Reese congratulations.”

Kaitlin hung up and looked up at Leroy ready to apologize but before she could say anything he put his arm around her and guided to where Reese and Brooke were sitting. “Come on,” he said sweetly, “Let's eat and have a glass of wine. Reese and Brooke are joining Ben. Let's just sit and watch them. It will be relaxing and you can forget all the unpleasantness.”

They sat down in the lounge chairs. The wine and the warm day did the job and she actually began to relax.

“It's good to see Ben participating,” said Leroy.

“Yes, he really does love to fish,” then she noticed Hailey walking across the deck and punched Leroy, “Leroy! Look at Hailey - quick - she’s walking!”


Leroy quickly pulled out his cell phone and snapped a picture smiling so proudly.

They both got up and encouraged to keep doing it using her little toy rabbit as bait. When she made it all the way to them Leroy scooped her up and hugged her while she giggled.

“You know, she also said ‘Daddy’ the other day,” he said puffing out his chest.

Kaitlin laughed, “No, I don't think so. It was "Mama" that she said.”

"You wish!" he laughed, "Come on, sit with me in the chair - I want to hug my girls."

They made a game out of squishing themselves into the Adirondack chairs. Hailey must have been sleepy because she dozed off. Leroy closed his eyes too letting the stress leave him.

Watching Hailey take her first steps made Kaitlin think about Maddy’s first steps, in the fire station. Reese had taken care of her so much then. He witnessed her first steps and she was too tired to even make a big deal out of it.

Well, as soon as they were settled in their new home, she would make it up to Maddy and Ben. Dakota needed her too. She was at a very impressionable age. Kaitlin reached over and squeezed Leroy's hand and he squeezed hers back. “I love you,” she said and closed her eyes too.

15 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, Hailey is SO cute!!!!! Babies and Toddlers in Sims 3 are the cutest, honestly. None of the men in Kaitlyn's life that she has been intimate with honestly I don't like very much, even Leroy, but he's been "turning around" for me.

    That house is very beautiful. Too bad the story is ending soon and won't see too much more of it and the growing family. Is it possible that there will be a sequel or something after this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leroy definitely has had some challenges to overcome. He is a good guy and is trying really hard. He has his own issues of abandonment that sort of dictate how he is with Kaitlin. He is way too overprotective of her, almost to the point of being controlling. He doesn't want her out of his sight! I will have to admit, Kaitlin's choice in men hasn't been exactly stellar!

      Hailey is way too cute! And I was shocked at little Jordan when he became a toddler. He is adorable. I can't wait to age them all up and see how they look as adults.

      So there will be another story with one of the kids as the 'heir' of sorts. I am not sure who and whether or not I will move to TS4 with tons of mods or stay in TS3. I have been looking at challenges to see which one might be inspiring and not too overwhelming.

      Delete
  2. Have they talked to Ben at all? Holy Molly, Kaitlin, please, please, don't wait for some distant future to "make up to him", he needs to know you care now. It's free, damn it. I just hope all is well for real though. They've all been through so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not enough. But she is trying. They are including him in more things. He is helping to "decorate his new room and he had a good time fishing with Dakota and then Reese and Brooke went out to fish with him too. We will see how it all shakes out very soon! 😇

      Delete
  3. Am I the only one who's kind of annoyed that Kaitilin reacted the way she did to Newt? I mean, in one way, that's a good thing, since she's finally not afraid to stand up to Newt, but on the other hand, I'm annoyed because it's not like he's having a walk in the park dealing with what he has done.

    I understand that she just wants what she and Leroy consider 'best' for their family, but Newt is just trying to not be locked out of the picture. Kaitilin and Leroy want him gone and out of their lives forever, when that simply isn't possible at the moment.

    Newt is just trying to get the divorce done and over with so he can truly move on some from what he did and make amends with himself. I'm sorry if I seem passive-aggressive in this comment but it's just bugging me how Kaitilin is acting like Newt wanted it to be this way, when that simply isn't true.

    I know that the very core of what has happened is Newt's fault, but he's trying to fix it, albeit going about it the wrong way. Kaitilin is making things much harder for him as well, even if she may not realize it. By being as mistrusting and rude as she is, she's making Newt feel even worse. The last thing he needs is his (kinda) wife not even considering to try to forgive him.

    Now, do I blame her much? Not really. After going through so much abuse, you can't expect her just forgive him all willy-nilly. I get that it will take time, lot's of time. I also understand her fear of having her kids taken away from her. She loves them more then anyone else, including Newt, so I don't expect her to just let Newt have full custody of one, even if he will be perfectly content.

    I would go on about a few more things. but this comment is already pretty long, so I will just make a few final words. I blame both, for the things that have happened recently. Newt for the abuse that caused everything and for trying to fight a fire with fire, and Kaitilin for trying to push him out of the picture permanently. Neither should be blamed entirely for what has happened.

    I understand if you don't agree with me, since most people think that Newt is to be blamed for pretty much everything happening. While, yes, he does deserve most of the blame, a little was caused by others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that was way longer than what I intended for it to be. Sorry if I give you an eyesore.

      Delete
    2. Wow! Not an eyesore at all. I truly appreciate the comments. So let me see if I can respond in kind! :)

      I think as far as being annoyed at Newt, unless you read his pen pal letters, you really don't appreciate how far he has come and how hard it has been for him to make the change. Abuse is an addiction in that it is a learned behavior and is difficult to turn it around. But he is desperately trying. Kaitlin has discovered this of late, but like someone else said, she's known this for all of about a month now and he has been working on it for almost 2 years. So for him it's still hard, but not new. For her she has to understand that he has changed and while, they may disagree, that's okay and he isn't going to control her with force.

      She sees the request for joint custody as a thing she cannot fight and she is so wrong. But never having a say her whole life, it's been hard for her to finally realize she is worth it and does get to have an opinion.

      Sadly, Leroy hasn't really helped as he is controlling in a different way - he is trying to protect something that is precious to him in the guise of protecting her. She is feeling it - when he lied to her about Newt it was all about protection but she didn't see it that way and it nearly cost him their relationship.

      Newt does tend to slip back into old habits with her because that's how they always 'communicated' if you can call it that, but he realizes it but last time, it was too late. If Leroy hadn't left them alone, it never would have happened. But it did, which made things that much harder for Leroy to deal with as well as Kaitlin.

      I am glad you are seeing Newt's side of the story. He really has changed. Kaitlin is coming to terms with Newt, albeit slower than he would like. So he pushes. It's what he does with her.

      Whew...that was a lot too! Thanks so much for providing your insight. It means a lot!

      Delete
  4. It's these wonderful family moments that make all the stress worth it. It felt very real the Newt called when he did and that it ended the way it did. He wants her to sign and let it be done. She wants to talk more first. They do NOT do well when they want different things. Hopefully they'll be able to successfully compromise for the first time in their lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they can compromise to each other's satisfaction. They both want to move on. It would be an epic moment! Growth on both parts. It's hard for her to stand up to him, but she is really pushing herself to do it. Healing and growth for both of them.

      Delete
  5. I hope Kate and Newt works things out, I kind of agree with Newt, they are his childrem...And, yay! For happy family times! Also, they have a lovely house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes. They are his kids! She has to remember that and come to terms with the fact he has changed.

      Inlove the house. The view is great!

      Delete
  6. Hey, where do you get your hair cc? I kinda wanna make an account because I have an idea for a (somewhat) sim-driven story. If anybody is wondering which challenge, I want to make a story for the Doomsday Virus challenge (also made by MistyDW on ModTheSims). I ask because I think most of the EA hairs are ugly, with a few exceptions. Also, do you have any tips for this website? If you are able to provide either of those, thank you so much. I'm a noob storywriting and that sorta thing, so any tips'll really help out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the hair comes from The Sims Resource. Some of them are also some really old "Peggy" hair when she had a sims 3 site. You may be able to find them archived if you google it. Then there are some from Newsea's site. Some are pay and some are free.

      I am not great with blogger but once I figured it out it was fairly easy. I do a different blog for each story so they don't get mixed up since the post are in order. Most of the writers use Wordpress which seems geared more for story tellers. But it seems a bit more complex. I'm a noob too so don't feel alone! I only did one other story and it was mostly for me.

      The doomsday virus sounds intense! But it should be fun! Go for it!

      Delete
  7. And so it continues. Hailey is really cute (goodness, you have Sam and Hailey and all of this is making me confused at times, lol). And the mess with Newt continues. I wonder they will eventually decide on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Too many kids! They will meet and work on it..

      Delete