Monday, August 7, 2017

Chapter 48 - All Messed Up - Part 3 of 3

After settling Hailey in the high chair, Leroy turned around to face Kaitlin. He was so glad she didn't kick him out. She looked exhausted - like she had been crying. He figured it was because she already saw the news. And it was all his fault.

Leroy took a step toward her hoping she wouldn't back away. “Kate, I'm so sorry…” he started but the rest of his words were cut off because in the next instant she closed the distance between them and was in his arms, her face buried in his neck crying.


Leroy was shocked. It was all could do not to cry himself as he held her close and rubbed her back shushing her until she got control of herself. He felt horrible. All he could think was he did this to her.

Finally she pulled away. In a small voice she said,  “I missed you, the kids missed you too.”

That confused him. She was the one keeping them apart. If it had been up to him, he would have taken her home that night, not Reese.

“I understand why now,” she said, “Why you didn't tell me, but it still hurt and it was wrong. I know because I did the same thing to Reese. I thought I was protecting him. I'm guilty of the same sin of omission. He found out on the news instead of from me.”

Leroy felt for her. He knew she would be beating herself up over it. “Kate, I'm so sorry. That's actually why I came. You know I wouldn't come over unless you said okay. It's been killing me, but when I saw the news this morning I had to. I wanted to warn you. To be the one to tell you. I was too late."

"I was going to tell Reese this morning," she went on explaining, "I actually came in here to do it, but the news was on. He already knew. So I told him. I told him everything."

Kaitlin pulled back to look at Leroy as if to study him. He knew he looked like hell. He had hadn't shaved, eaten or slept. He had lost weight and had dark circles under his eyes. "Are you okay?" she asked, "You look like you are sick."

"Just a broken heart is all," he said with a little chuff, "I'm fine now, but I won't lie, it's been hard thinking I might have lost you. I haven't, have I? Lost you that is." He worried maybe she might not have forgiven him.

"No, Leroy. But I..."

He didn't want to hear more. No was enough. "Wait," said Leroy stopping her, "Please don't say anything more. I need you to know something. Newt knows. He knows you are here.”

Kaitlin held her breath and started taking short quick breaths. Damn, she's panicking and breathing too fast, he thought. “Kate, stay with me sweetheart. Deep breaths, okay?" he said in an effort to calm her.

“I'm here,” she choked out and began taking deep breaths as he instructed.

He relaxed. Obviously Newt hadn't shown up on her doorstep yet. He was thankful at least he was here and able to tell her before that happened. “Thank God. Baby...you really are better,” he said somewhat surprised. Shea was right. She was learning to control her panic attacks.

Kaitlin interrupted him and said between breaths, “promise me…you will never keep a secret from me again....Ever. No matter what. If you ever do I don't know if I can for-…”

“Shhh. Please don't say it. Never again,” said Leroy relieved that she wasn't going to kick him out, “I was so afraid. I can't lose you. I just can't. I can't help it, I just want to protect you, keep you happy. But I won't leave you out. Still, I'm still glad you weren't in the courtroom. It was bad.”


“Tell me. I need to know,” she said looking at him like a deer in headlights, “Don't leave anything out. The news said they were wrapping up on Monday.”

Leroy pulled her back to him and gently rubbed circles on her back trying to keep them both grounded before he continued. “They played the tape I made in the hallway," he said softly, "You were mentioned and Dakota and Hailey.

They stopped it and asked me to clarify who the people in question were and my relationship to them. What incriminated Reid was his knowledge of things that weren't public knowledge. And it gave him a motive to frame me. The ‘love triangle’ the news called it.”

“Oh my God,” said Kaitlin. “And Newt heard it all...he knows that Reid and I dated and that I had your baby. He has to be furious. He’s going to find me and take the kids…and, and...”

Leroy was worried about how she was handling this information. “Kate, you still doing okay?” he asked. She nodded so he continued, “Yes, he heard it. They did their research. They knew you were married and asked if I knew when we started dating. When they began talking about our relationship, and Newt realized it was you they were talking about, he wouldn't look at me. In fact, he looked miserable, the woman he was with was holding his hand. Cassandra was crying and her husband was trying to comfort her.  After we recessed for the day, Newt tried to approach me but his father held him back.”

“He's going to call me. What am I going to do?” asked Kaitlin weakly.

She was probably right. He couldn’t leave her alone now. “Don't worry sweetheart. I will stay with you. You aren't alone. You still okay?” he said.

“Yes,” said Kaitlin and then jumped when the phone rang. It was a local number, but not one she
recognized so she showed it to Leroy. He took it from her and answered for her. If this was Newt there was no way he was going to let him talk to Kate.

“Hello,” said Leroy.

A male voice said, “I need to speak with Kaitlin Murdock please.”

“Who is this?” asked Leroy suspiciously.

“Police Officer Johnson, now may I please speak with Mrs. Murdock.”

Shit, it is Newt and he has engaged the police, thought Leroy and he sat down at the table. “What is this about?” he asked.

It concerns Benjamin Murdock, now I need to speak with Mrs. Murdock, unless you are the boy’s father.”


Ben? God no! Please don't let him be hurt, thought Leroy. “No, I’m not. Hold on, she's right here,” he said before placing the phone on mute and laying it on the table between them. "It's Ben. I don't know what happened."

Kaitlin left the phone where it was and put it on speaker. “This is Kaitlin Murdock," she said wringing her hands.

“Mrs. Murdock, this is Officer Johnson with the Twinbrook police department. Your son, Benjamin Murdock, was caught shoplifting several video games at 'Games Galore'."

"NO! It must be a mistake. Ben would never do that!" she barked out.


She and Leroy listened as he continued. "Ma'am, calm down. The boy, Benjamin, he had them under his coat and walked out with them. The shop owner wants to file a complaint. I need to take him to the station so we can take care of this. Since he's only 10, you can come here and follow us to the station and he can ride with you instead of in the squad car. Reese, your older son and the little girl, Dakota are free to go but the young man doesn't want to leave until you get here. Once at the station you can pay the fine and he will be released to your custody. Any questions?”

Leroy watched as Kaitlin went pale, “There must be some mistake," she said, "Are you sure he wasn't just looking at them?”

“We are sure ma’am. As I said, he was outside the store with them inside his coat. Now are you coming or do I have to take him in?”

“I'm on my way,” she said and hung up.

“I’m so sorry Kate,” said Leroy when she disconnected the call, “I can call a sitter or Brooke to come stay with the kids so I can go with you.”

“No. I need to take care of this myself. I will go right now so Reese and Dakota can leave. I don’t know what he was thinking. He is so grounded!" said Kaitlin fuming, then as an afterthought asked, “Are you okay with 4 babies?”

It was all Leroy could do to let her leave without him. He wanted to be sure she was okay, “Yes. I will manage,” then he sighed and said, “Two hundred and fifty dollars.”

“What?” said Kaitlin looking at him like he lost his mind.

“The fine. It's $250.00. At least is was a few years ago, I hope it's not more,” he said.

Kaitlin blew out a breath, “Yes. Grounded and lots of extra chores. Happy birthday to Ben,” she said with a hitch in her voice as she turned to leave.

* * * * * * * * *

Kaitlin marched Ben into his cubby when they got home and thoroughly lectured him. Then she grounded from his video games and assigned extra chores for a month. She also demanded he apologize to the store owner and to Reese.


* * * * * * * * *


Three days after the ‘incident' was Ben's 11th birthday. Kaitlin, Leroy, Reese and Brooke all got him gifts and Kaitlin prepared his favorite chocolate cake. Ben opened his gifts muttering halfhearted thank you’s, then stomped off to his room leaving everything on the table claiming his stomach hurt and didn't want any cake.

Kaitlin's heart was broken. She got up to go to him, but Leroy stopped her, “Give him a couple more days Kate. He's still really angry. Maybe you should mention this to Shea next time you are together. I'm sure she could give you better advice than me. When is your next session?” he asked.

Go to Chapter 49

Go Back to Chapter 48 - Part 2

12 comments:

  1. Oh man, I totally forgot I peeked at the roll being shoplifting and this actually took me by surprise! I was wondering how you were going to incorporate Reese shoplifting as my initial thought. But now when I think about it, Reese is a changed man. He's got babies to take care of and Newt's back in town, he doesn't need to put on more stress on himself.
    Speaking of Newt, his reaction to Kaitlin being involved shows how he's changed also! He isn't super angry about her being there, nor is he trying to hunt her down with a pitchfork. Awesome.

    Oh Ben, you edgy kid LOL. Soon he'll wear all black and come home with tatted sleeves and piercings and take selfies of himself with his tongue sticking out and flipping off the camera
    then he'd post them on some social media platform with the caption "eff the police" and hang out with the wrong crowd... Hahaha! Look at my mind going places.
    Props to Kaitlin improving, but man, Ben being like this is so great. It really shows how he's changed from the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am laughing so hard at your vision of Ben! My sweet baby turning into a rebellious trouble making teen! Well he is just 11. Anything could happen. I want to age him up so bad to see what he looks like as a teen. Maybe I will and can post it on our Barbara thread! Lol.

      That's partially why I didn't say what the roll was. It would be too much of a spoiler. I totally knew it had to be Ben and not Reese when I got that especially after the way he has been behaving. Just imagine how much different things would have been if I got that roll early on. Reese may have become the rebel! Ha!

      Delete
  2. Uh-oh looks like Ben is going to be trouble!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't he already! Lol. But yes...sweet little Ben is feeling quite misunderstood lately. Poor guy.

      Delete
  3. Ben is changing! The chances are that he won't be like his beginning self when he knows what has happend..this hole thing changed him deeply...Also, now, I'm wondering how this could go, as Newt had his penpal letters, I assume he had some character development on his own, and might be less of an unpleseant person now, meaning, Kate will have to fight her demons, not Newt, when they met...Also, this could not be good for Ben, as he could be like " Mom did you really takes me way from my father that looks very sorry for what he has done to you...?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! You just might be on to something..... Newt has definitely changed and we just might see how that plays out with Ben....Losing your whole family in one instance can make one sit back and reevaluate the why....

      Delete
  4. Yes, please ask Shea what to do. Because this is some bullshit. "Give Ben time, he's still angry, but oh life keeps happening, so we never actually circle back and address the shit that happened yesterday." What the fuck you two??

    Okay, okay, I'm calm. But I'm glad Newt finally knows for sure where his wife is. I'm sure he's feeling badly because of everyone's well-deserved perception of him. I wonder if he's going to try and contact Kate. If he was smart, he'd send an intermediary, so he doesn't completely freak her out. If only their therapists would start prepping them for when they are finally face to face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leroy and Kaitlin don't really know how to deal with Ben. We will see more of this soon. You may not like Shar's response though. I will explain it more afterwards. :)

      Delete
  5. Harper wants Ben to look her up in a few years ;) They'd get along great!

    Haha no but seriously... what a chapter! (All three parts! I'm on my phone and commenting is difficult so I'm saving it for the last part of each chapter haha). SO much drama and emotion. I'm loving it.

    And wow, Kate has seriously come SO far since the start. I was worried at first with the way she pushed Leroy away for so long. It almost seemed like a regression. But her opening up to Reese was great! And being able to talk openly with Leroy too, and overcome her panic attack...

    You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I thought about that too! Ben and Harper. :)

      Kaitlin is doing much better. I'm proud of her. But I'm glad Leroy finally just came to her. Too bad the circumstances that triggered it.

      Reese needed to hear it too.

      Delete
  6. Oh, Ben...He really just wants them to pay attention to him. Glad Kate and Leroy made up. Such a relief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone’s doing okay except Ben. He’s so miserable and starving for attention.

      Delete